PDA

View Full Version : problem after using manual override on sunroof

gugumachi
06-18-2002, 11:40 PM
well i finally have my car back together (for those that remember me having stripped the interior to fix a leak in the drain) but while i had it apart i needed to test the drain so i opened up the sunroof by taking out that plug in the headliner and turning the bolt on there with a socket, but being the genius i am i turned it too much i guess because the nut and two washers came off the stud, and now the sunroof will neither close nor open. my question is, has this happened to anyone else and am i gonna have to take out the headliner to get this back on there? there are a few other washers up in there and it looks like i need some weird tool that could hold the washers up and be able to turn the nut at the same time. any tips would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

smufguy
06-19-2002, 08:58 PM
read your post last night, thought someone would give u a hand but no one did. oh well, i am not sure about this either, but the problem is seems like u just ripped the locknut washer thing off. like u said, the roof wont close cause its overtightened and stuck. does the motor kick in? if not its your motor that is faulty. try taking off your headliner and manually take everything apart. see if any arm is broke/stripped. change it and see if it would work. before that, check your fuse for the roof. sometimes, situations like this would blow a fuse off.

gugumachi
06-19-2002, 09:09 PM
the motor works fine, it's just like it's not turning anything. i went out today and played around with it, i was able to get the nut back on but not the washers, and the sunroof moved but was like getting stuck. i think if i can just get those washers back on then it'll work. we'll see

YK86
06-19-2002, 10:17 PM
Try checking out Paul Aerodecks site for details in the shop manual for the sunroof assembly. My manual is for an 86 but the sunroof assembly is covered on chapter 21 section 38 and the motor is covered on chapter 25 section 37. The motor seems to be connected to a cable assembly which pulls or pushes the glass but maybe the motor shaft isn't properly connected to the cable assembly??