PDA

View Full Version : Sleepers

Nospeed
09-19-2003, 07:24 PM
so, can anyone explain to me, and maybe others, what a sleeper is supposed to be? like apperance wise, and engine wise? i guess ive never grasped the concept of it...and no im not a nubie...;)

Vinny
09-19-2003, 07:56 PM
Sleepers are pure money makers. They look totally stock from the outside which makes it temoting for people to want to race because they think its an easy kill/win. No one wants to race a tricked out stang, or camaro or vette (old or new there) or an older muscle car sporting street slicks and a tybbed and narrowed rear end that lopes so bad its sounds like its just gonna die. Thats the fun of sleepers, they don'tscare off potential racers, or in most cases potential paydays. If I hadn't gone for a ride in Seans car I'da jumped at a short light to light go with him, but hell no not now. The guy he ate in the Prelude didn't wanna race him cuz it just looks soooo stock, but after a few lights of us messin with the guy he bit, and got spanked. Now ya see what sleepers are for?????

bboipinoy112
09-19-2003, 08:01 PM
after you know its a sleeper .. make your self a cardboard body kit .. =D ..

jb2wheels
09-20-2003, 07:27 AM
Stock and quiet - not even rims, maybe not tint, no huge tip
crappy paint and chipped wheel covers help, maybe a light or 2 not working
Even better if you can hide your mods like a stealth nitrous install otherwise the party's over when the hood comes up
Sean's turbo 3g? Wicked sleeper. A baby seat in the back would be evil.

3rd GEN
09-20-2003, 10:12 AM
yup.. total sleeper for sure..
but i want a good lookin sleeper..
like mine, just lowered and exhaust and my factory spoiler and my front lip/w splitters are the only things for outside appearance....and thats the way it's gonna stay...
everything else is all under the hood...
soon to be a b18c1, fully built with turbo

Hash_man_Se_i
09-20-2003, 10:26 AM
yup.. total sleeper for sure..
but i want a good lookin sleeper..
like mine, just lowered and exhaust and my factory spoiler and my front lip/w splitters are the only things for outside appearance....and thats the way it's gonna stay...
everything else is all under the hood...
soon to be a b18c1, fully built with turbo

Thats exactly what I want too. But I will leave my trunk rack on, lower it, only for the performance aspect of the suspension, and I will have a maximum of a 3" tip.

So yea, I sleeper shouldn't look fast, but should be very fast.

Just like this guy I work with. He has a beat up old 88 Mustang LX, with a turbo 2.3L from his 89 T-bird. That thing is fast!, probly around 240/250 HP, he has a home made hoodscoop for the intercoooler, which he made with a saw and a hammer, and he has dual 2.5" exhaust with stock mufflers, so all you hear is the whistle of the turbo.

Nospeed
09-20-2003, 03:08 PM
nice...thanks guys...i kinda knew what it was, but i thought i would go for the proper terms of it. so, my 90 with steelies, bondo in back of the rear tire wells, and scratched up paint, could very well become a sleeper if i just concentrate on the engine...thanks guys! :)

i.c.
09-20-2003, 03:12 PM
sleepers are fun! especially when you get someone who likes to make fun of your car.

mykwikcoupe
09-20-2003, 10:18 PM
a sleeper is my buddys minivan. Its a late 80's plymoth with the dodge 2.2l engine. It just so happens that the daytona 2.5l turbo bolts up and even though theres not alot of aftermarket for those cars it runs pretty quick. Its faster than my stock LXI. Ill ask him if hes ever ran the 1/4 in it.

I have a 90 T-bird SC ive been working on and Id consider it to be a sleeper besides the tint. Stock wheels, no obvious suspension mods. Its 2 ton brick

jb2wheels
09-21-2003, 07:16 AM
Super Coupe? Not a sleeper to anybody that knows SC = supercharger.
I guess I forgot one piece of the "sleeper" pie - factory hot rods don't make good sleepers.
Turbo minivan? Sleeper!

3rd GEN
09-21-2003, 12:46 PM
but then again.. you don't want your car lookin like a p.o.s on the outside.. you gotta keep it clean and nice lookin still..

turbo minivans are the way to go..
i know a buddy of mine who has a turbo Oddysey, and holly fuck, pardon my french, but that thing Gooooooooooooooes!!!!

jb2wheels
09-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Looking like POS increases sleeper factor

zero.counter
09-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Nothing even minutely noticeable. Gives the impression of an easy win. But has a monster under the hood. Obscure power...

Justin86
09-21-2003, 06:39 PM
I'm working on my sleeper. Saving up the money day by day. :D

KoNEY
10-13-2003, 06:52 PM
yeah, i live in Winchester, TN, but like 14 miles away in the city of Tullahoma, TN lives a bad-ass sleeper that has had its share of trouble, a lil 'ol lude 2.0 si that has been overhauled with a nice jdm b20 and a turbo kit, along with fully redone internals, not too sure about what the specs are, but all he'll say is its all aftermarket. but it is definitely a sleeper, hes got a like a 75-100 shot from his bottle which he hid in the spare tire well, the already mentioned turbo, jdm tranny built with longer gears, and a full exhaust with a new catalytic converter with a small muffler and tip. but to top it off, his ol lude is like a champagne color, except where the front is primered b/c his clutch assembly flew out during a run and screwed up his tranny and core support. he has of all things chopped springs, steelies, and regular windows. his only exterior mods would be the exhaust tip, a set of window sprayer LED's, and his lower ride, (which isnt bad because he cut the springs level with a chop-saw, and got sportier shocks) but man, that bitch is worth a good 10 grand, clean as hell under the hood, and not to mention the all-unimportant fury that bitch releases when u get ur ass handed to you by an ol school lude... oh, if i can, ill try to get some pics, but he is kinda picky on who he lets see his shit

IWLSF
10-13-2003, 08:41 PM
Yep, pretty much what everyone said above. You focus 100% (95% is acceptable too) on strictly the performance of the car. But notice I didnt say engine only, with the extra speed you'll need extra stopping power, a beefed up suspension, etc. Anything PERFORMANCE related, no steering wheel covers, no LED dice, no stereo besides stock, no painted calipers, none of that shit.

There are some typical mods that are acceptable like wheels, wheels that are very light, but not very flashy. Springs, drag springs, with a very minor lower. Exhaust (but some decide to keep the stock muffler). Bumper mesh (to hide the intercooler better). Things like that.

If you want, you can take it a few more ways. You could:
1. Become an ultimate "ricer"
----SPEND money on all that dumb shit, but dont do it in style, do it like ricers do. Mixmatched wheels, unpainted body panels, only certain body kit pieces (not full kit), LED muffler tip, just really GAY shit. Basically, you see that guy on the road and you're just laughing and act like 'Man, let's kick this guy's ASS.' And then you get smoked and feel like an idiot.
2. Go a step farther...
----Become something totally uncalled for. For example, my idea right now is a bunch of Gay Pride stickers, or some Anime crap, something lining the whole backside of the car. Or even better, be those emblem whores!!! How would a GT-R VTEC Type-R SHO SVT sound?
3. Do something just weird...
----Play only country music, and BLARE it so everyone remembers you. Or classical, or just some out of the ordinary. Someone real annoying that people want to silence.

So many possibilities...girlfriend calling, cant say anymore. You think about some...

89AcCOrDmike
10-13-2003, 09:45 PM
my idea of a sleeper-

highly built up or swapped engine (duh)

very stock look, but tasteful....
window tint
some nice wheels, but nothing too flashy
lowered maybe an inch and a half
high flow cat for exhaust with stock dual tip muffler
CLEAN CAR, not trashy looking, just....clean

and as far as stereo and all that, i'd get a kick ass stereo so i could blow people out of the water with that too.

Blue Impact
10-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Some sleepers can be "riced out" cars. The appearance may be trashy, but when you run against it, all you'll see is its taillights fading away in the distance.

rare_89lxi_coupe
10-15-2003, 09:30 AM
Ahhh yes, a sleeper thread. I once had a friend who had a black Civic, now honestly, I hate civics-got NO love for 'em, but this was a prime example of an awesome sleeper. No window tint. No hub caps, that's right, not even rollin' on hubs, purely stock except for the headlights-that was just so he could see. So basically the thing looked like a poser punk kid who was trying to get into the import world. Ole boy had a b18 under the hood which surprised the hell out of those who thought they'd hand him his ass. He made bank off that car.

3G Jester
10-15-2003, 10:10 AM
i say a sleeper is somebody mith minimal mods who doesnt go off showing his engine bay, where the nos isnt visible and there arent stickers all over it broadcasting what kinda performance stuff is under the hood.
ie: good tint job, maybe an exhaust nice sounding system, maybe some bumpos in the trunk but nmothing too obnoxious, and maybe some nice after market rims.

everyone does tints/rims/exhaust so its not like your giving your car a RACER effect. MMMMMAAAYBE side skirts or a lip or something but not a huge flashy body kit.

once you get stickers on there...NOS, ZEX, NX, type-R[ice], AEM, DC, dynomax.........its allll over and you are officialy about as sleepy as a coke head.

MilTownSHO
10-15-2003, 08:57 PM
I love my sleeper, unless you know what a SHO is, you don't know what the hell hit you!

You just think you got whopped by a Taurus!:lol

Justin86
10-16-2003, 11:10 AM
Well I'm working on my little sleeper. I want it to look nice and clean but still wan't people to look at it and judge that is is a slug. :)

NXRacer
10-16-2003, 11:20 AM
plain and simple a sleeper is a car that from the factor is a slow POS, but after some engine work it becomes a monster. prime example is a Pinto with a 351 under the hood. Any car like a honda that has any amount of outside body work stickers etc is not a sleeper, its just a tuned car that looks (sometimes) decent.