PDA

View Full Version : Distributor help

Razka
09-20-2003, 07:48 PM
I am about to order replacement distributor parts and am not sure if I need to get the o-ring and seal along with the rotor and cap. Should those automatically be changed when the rotor/cap are replaced? I'm not even exactly sure where they are located in relation to the rotor/cap, which is why I am asking for :help:

Thanks...

Magny
09-20-2003, 08:06 PM
If you ar gonna replace the distributor, you might as well check the seals and see if they do need to be replaced, or replace it anyways. Its all up to you IMO.

Razka
09-21-2003, 06:29 AM
Thanks Magny...

But the thing is I do not know where the seal is on the distributor. In the exploded diagram of the distributor that I have I only see the o-ring, no seal. Maybe when I take off the cap it will be more clear to me where the seal is located? I guess I will just order them both, as they are probably the original from '88.

cruznz
09-21-2003, 11:54 AM
the o-ring sits between the dissy body and cap to prevent moisture getting in,...as for the seal,if your dissy isn't leaking oil into it,dont bother changing it

DBMaster
09-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Aftermarket distributor caps do not come wih the rubber o-ring seal. I have been using them for 14 years on my car not realizing this so I have been using the same seal for that long. I realized this when I bought a cap for our Odyssey from Majestic Honda and noticed it came with the seal.

Next time I am buying the one for my car that way so I can change the seal. I guess it must be OK though as I hose out the engine compartment on a regular basis to keep it clean and I have never gotten water into the distributor.

Razka
09-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the help... I did have to order the o-ring seperately from the cap. I passed on the seal, as I saw no oil when I took off the cap today (just a bunch of red dust). I searched on this site and saw that red dust in distributor cap is a sign that the bearings are shot, or almost shot. Car seems to be running great though... no misfires or anything like that. Is there an easy way to replace the bearings? Or would it require a complete distributor replacement. How much does a new distributor cost for a 1988 Accord LX-i.... ?

Thanks again...

cruznz
09-21-2003, 06:13 PM
you can replace the bearing and seal if you have access to a press and if you can get the right bearing and seal,...the honda dealer will more than likely have them,but may charge like a wounded bull

Razka
09-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Much thanks for the reply and information. I won't try to mess with the bearing and seal until I have a better idea of what I'm doing. The only other thing I came across which has me confused, is how to take the rotor off. I took the cap off, but can't get the rotor to come off. Looks like it should just slide off with a little force, but no luck when I try. Didn't want to break it with too much force. How do I go about getting it off?

DanG86LX
09-21-2003, 07:24 PM
Just pull it straight off (axially), man!

DBMaster
09-22-2003, 06:17 AM
If red dust means the distributor is shot then mine has been shot for at least five years! It is probably wear particles from the distributor bushing (I don't believe that it's an actual bearing). Anyway, as long as the wear does not allow a lot of freeplay in the distributor shaft you should be OK.

I'll post when mine finally needs replacement.

Razka
09-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Alright, thanks dan, mike, pete.