PDA

View Full Version : Battery keeps going dead

Zwaag
09-21-2003, 09:31 AM
I need help. My car just sits, because I dont have a license and every time I get in it after it sits for a week or to, the battery is dead. Abso lutly nothing will work. Last time it happened I got a new battery. But, today I went out there and the same damn thing happened, and it's a brand new battery. Does any body know whats going on?

pimp86LX
09-21-2003, 09:40 AM
well your not driving it, so it doesn't get a charge. And if it goes dead so quickly i would suggest you have an electrical 'leak' somewere

My overhead light had bad wiring and caused the battery to die out fairly quickly

Mac
09-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Yep, by not driving the batt isn't getting charged. A few easy things to check are.

1. Batt conections. Check that they are clean and tight. Check on the batt. and the starter (follow the + to the starter) Also check the other end of the - wire.

2. The belt on the alternator, along with the connections. If you get it running check the output of alt. Put a volt meter on the batt. with eng running, you should have at least 13.75 volts.

3. Also like stated above something could be draining your batt. Sometimes that is hard to find.

88accordhatchdx
09-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I have the same problem as Zwaag. I'm having the electrical connections tested for a leak soon.

Morbid Intentionz
09-21-2003, 11:53 AM
I had that problem but i went through 6 batteries before i found a good one.

Zwaag
09-27-2003, 07:24 AM
thanks for the hlep!

RED LXI
09-27-2003, 07:41 AM
I have the same problem, i was convinced that it was my led lights for my alarm untill i went through about 7 batterries. I just take off my teminals now . electrical problems can cause money to fix.

shepherd79
09-27-2003, 07:45 AM
if you gonna let it sit for along time, remove negative cable of the battery. this way it will keep the charge.

Aarie$$oul
09-30-2003, 08:56 AM
I have a questions...

My "check battery light" comes on when I first start driving. It stays on for a couple seconds but the car continues to drive fine. This morning it blinked on and off about three times. the car has never cut off or anything. Does anyone know why this is happening? I even went out and bought one of those emergency jump chargers, just in case.lol

RED LXI
09-30-2003, 09:56 AM
check the connection betwen the alternator and battery terminal if eveything is ok, it most likeky is your alternator gooing bad.

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Here's how to find your parastitic drain....(copied from what I told Joe)

-digital multimeter with an 'amps' scale
-some kind of jumper wire with alligator clips, or whatever you can think of to hold the meter probes to the battery post and battery cable

Make sure all doors are closed, and all lights and everything are OFF. Set your meter to read "amps/milliamps". Disconnect the negetive cable from the battery and connect the negative probe from the meter to the negative post on the battery, then connect the positive probe from the meter to the clamp on the negative battery cable. Your meter is now set in series, thus the cars electrical system will still operate but goes through the meter on it's route. Give it about a minute or so for any electronics to settle down (ours don't really have many modules or anything so it shouldn't take long.... the Navi's/Continental/LS and some others you have to wait 45 minutes for everything to 'go to sleep'). The draw should not exceed 50 milliamps (.05 amps), and again make sure no lights or anything are on and doors are closed while doing this. If it exceeds 50mA, start pulling fuses one by one, watching the meter after each fuse. Don't put the fuses back in until you've found the source of your problem, and pull individual fuses before pulling any mega fuses. When you pull the fuse of your problem, the meter will go down to about 15-35mA. Once you've found that fuse, plug it back in and see if the draw goes back up (just to make sure), if it does then you've found you're problem (sort of). If it goes down, but it's still over 50mA, remember what that fuse controls and keep pulling fuses until it goes under 50, keeping track of each fuse that makes it go down. Look what the fuse controls and that will give you a good idea of what/where to look for problems. From there you can start unplugging individual components on that circuit, and you'll soon find out just what is draining it down. After it's all done, don't forget to put all the fuses back in their proper locations.

:)