PDA

View Full Version : hard starting question 4G

vtec11
06-19-2002, 05:11 AM
my cousin has a 93 LX just turned 100,000 miles. For the past few weeks her car has been hard to start sometimes. It cranks really fast but just dosn't start. It takes 2-3 tries of lied 15 seconds each it before it starts. Other times it starts rite up.

What gives ? its not the battery or the starter cause it has full cranking power. The mechanic said it looks like a distributor. but he dosn't want to replace it because the car still runs fine.

what can be wrong ?

BoredRec
06-19-2002, 06:34 AM
Probably the main relay. Those relays go out more often in a 4g then they do in a 3g.

smufguy
06-19-2002, 07:43 AM
my sis's 4g (1990) had the same problem it would crank, but just wont start and once it did not even start. turned out to be the ignition coil. time to get those damn internal ones fixed.

ACCORD EX
06-19-2002, 02:51 PM
first i would check the sparks , wires resistant and then coil resistant ! and fuel pump relay ! :D

MIKE

smufguy
06-19-2002, 07:27 PM
pop the distributor cover and see if its bad. does the temperature affect the starting? like outisde temperature and the engine bay temperature?

vtec11
06-20-2002, 12:59 PM
oddly that's the first thing the mechanic did when i took it there. pop off the distributor cover. How can you tell if its bad or not. Is there such a thing as an igniter in the distributor ??

He said it dosn't look bad because the car runs fine, so he dosn't wanna replace it rite now. but i dont know why it dons't start rite up all the time.

The car cranks at normal speed, but dosn't turn on. If the relay or coil is bad, does the engine still crank ??

any other ideas ??

ACCORD EX
06-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by vtec11
The car cranks at normal speed, but dosn't turn on. If the relay or coil is bad, does the engine still crank ??

any other ideas ??

Car cranks and doesn't start > bad ignition ( wires , plugs , coil , cap , rotor , distributer ) , FUEL PROBLEM ( fuel pump , empty fuel tank , fuel pump relay!)

car doesn't crank nor start > Bad battery ( discharged battery , bad battery terminals ) , Bad starter

hope that helps !

MIKE

smufguy
06-20-2002, 06:33 PM
This is what happened to my sis' car when i was driving. it is a 4g like yours. i pulled out of the parking lot and the car just stumbled to a stop. i tried starting it, but it wont start. it cranks fine. u see the valves go up and down and the fuel pressure on the rail is fine. the problem was that the ignition coil busted. the 4g does not have an external ignition coil. so probably it might be yours too.

vtec11
06-21-2002, 09:57 AM
smufguy,

once the car start it dosn't stop. my cousin drives it for 100 miles at a time without problems. Right now most of the time it starts right up.

BTW, where is the ignition coil then in a 4G located ?

smufguy
06-21-2002, 05:36 PM
yeah once ur car starts it wont stop if ur started is busted. but if ur ignition coil is busted, the car would die no matter what. the 4g did have a prob with the igniton & distributor. the ignition coil is inside the distributor i guess.