PDA

View Full Version : Timing Issues, BIGTIME

89queludesi
09-21-2003, 02:14 PM
I just installed my timing belt on my 1989 Prelude Si 2.0litre DOHC.
Everything was lined up correctly: The two camshafts were perfectly alligned. I used drill bits to hold them in place and I made sure the white painted mark on the fly wheel lined up with the timing pointer which assured me the crank was at TDC for the No.1 piston. I started it :barf: and it runs rough at idle and it bogs out if i try to acclerate quickly but once i get up to speed it cruises. It sounds to me like the intake cam is a little retarded. I tried to adjust the timing on the distributor but there was no spot that gave me a timing spot right on the white mark on the flywheel. It just a tiny bit off. What the hell am i doing wrong? This is my second attempt at this and its driving me Nucking Futs.

Please help:sadwave:

cruznz
09-21-2003, 06:23 PM
didn't knock any vacuum hoses off?

how did you get the timing belt off/on without taking the crank pulley off?

Pull No1 plug,bring it up to TDC,(use a pencil or similar in the plug hole to confirm TDC and check timing marks)

89queludesi
09-22-2003, 04:53 AM
i checked all the vacuum hoses and they all look good. i did take the crank pulley off. (i forgot to mention that) i guess i have to check TDC again. thanks for your help.:werd:

ACCORD EX
09-22-2003, 12:33 PM
a 2 teeth of timing belt can cause a non correct ignition timing and you won't be able to adjust it !

Mike!

DBMaster
09-22-2003, 01:20 PM
It sounds like you did everything right. Try this, though. Take off the top of your timing belt cover to expose the cam sprockets. Turn the crank bolt to line up your cams with the head (and with the "UP" mark up). Now, look inside the timing hole and see where the mark and pointer line up. Chances are they are off. If so, you can loosen the tensioner bolt and pull the timing belt just off the cam sprockets. Then, line up the mark and pointer by adjusting the crank position. Put the belt back on the cams (takes a bit of effort) and tighten the tensioner (after turning the crank enought for the cam sprockets to move the distance of two teeth. This helps put the right amount of tension on the belt.

The same thing happened to me last time I changed my timing belt and once I did the steps above it was fine. Of course, I am having to assume that the tensioner is similar on your engine to mine.

BootMachine
09-23-2003, 09:55 AM
I had this problem with the same engine.

Here is what I did wrong.

The intake cam sensor was on 180 deg. backwards!

also....I lined the white mark on the flywheel but there are two.....there is a white mark (this is your timing advance mark) and there is a white "T"...this is for TOP DEAD CENTER!

Set the flywheel to the "T" and make sure your cam sensors are on properly!

Try again!

k-roy
09-23-2003, 09:58 AM
Your distributor might have been rotated while it was removed. I do not know the correct procedure for re calibrating it, read up on that, it may be the issue