PDA

View Full Version : Dead in Driveway. Need electrical help!!

dazedNconfused
06-19-2002, 06:56 AM
Dear 3geez Members,

This is my first post, found this place this morning.

Okay, here it goes:

I got a bit over my head when trying to wire an alarm to my 59 Accord LX-i. I had the alarm totally installed, worked great until I tried to start and move the car. The trans wont shift into park (or anyother gear), with the ignition off, the temp guage, oil pressure, temp and clock turn on when I push the brake petal and many other small light turn on occasionally. As well as when I turn on the headlights, nothing comes on (No power headlights, nothing), when I turn the switch off, the headlights come up for a minute then return to thier off setting. BUT, the engine still starts fine. I think the problem started when I accidently shorted the hot wire to ground when I was testing the dome light for continous power. Tried to find a fuse for it and was no specific fuse (examined them all as well for blown fuses) for the light. I have no clue whats going on. I have, since then, removed the alarm, <i> hoping </i> that was the only problem. Does the ECU also control those basic items? I had a small trouble code when I first bought the car (Bought it used last week), which was trouble code 1. Now, the light no longer blinks anymore. Could I have fried the computer as well as the transmission control unit ? Any help will be apreciated. Im in the process of downloading paul's section on chassis electrical, maybe I can find a solution. Thanks in advance on any and all help the members of 3Geez can do for me.

Nick

dazedNconfused
06-19-2002, 07:04 AM
Oops..its a bit early... its an 89 accord not 59.. what was I thinkin

BoredRec
06-19-2002, 07:05 AM
Welcome to the board...sounds like yer screwed! :lol

No, not really...just take the car (probably towed) to the place you got the install done at, tell them whats happened, see if they can do anything about it (probably call them first). If not I think you might need to take it to a shop. If you shorted a wire, it coulda melted another wire right next to it, hence why you get gauges and lights on when you push the pedal. If you feel brave enough to try that yourself I'd say get a manual so you'll have a wiring diagram to look at. Good luck!

dj99
06-19-2002, 07:23 AM
ECU code 1 is the O2 sensor. Replace it when you get your trouble sorted out.

Have you checked all the fuses in the box under the hood? I was unlucky enough to blow one while installing my alarm, the ECU one! It was fuse #11, and dome is #13, but check them all. The ECU does not control the dome light.

Let us know what happens! :flash:

dj99
06-19-2002, 07:30 AM
BTW, one ECU blink is the Primary O2 sensor for an LX-i. I think it's the one on the left when viewed from the front. My LX only has one. :rolleyes:

3_GENCYCO
06-19-2002, 07:38 AM
AND I THOUGHT I HAD PROBLEMS:eek:

dazedNconfused
06-19-2002, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all the quick responces, too bad I cant use any of the info :(

DJ99: I checked under the hood as well for the blown fuses yesterday also, was no luck. Forgot to include that. The O2 sensor was about to be replaced, but due to this recent problem, its set way back on the back burner. I figured the ECU did as what it's called, controls the Engine, I just couldnt explain the sudden stop of the light blinking. The dome fuse still is okay, but Im going to replace every fuse anyway, just to make sure. Im about to run out and buy a haynes manual, the chilton one I have doesnt have jack for interior wiring schematics. Ill keep everyone posted by the end of the day, when I hopefully walk into the house jumping for joy.

3_gencyco:

Thats not all the problem that Im facing. I still have to make payments on it and its my source of transportation for a 50 mile commute to work. I really dont want to have to take it to a shop to get it fixed. :flipa: :)

Nick

dazedNconfused
06-19-2002, 11:10 AM
Well.... Im stumped. Everything is wired to its factory wiring and I still cant figure it out. I hate to lower my pride and take it to the shop.. but I guess I have no choice.. Ill take it to a friend of mine and see what he can do... Ill keep you posted.

Nick

ACCORD EX
06-19-2002, 03:16 PM
after all is back to factory wiring check all the fuses !
and specially the ECU FUSE !

MIKE

dj99
06-19-2002, 05:45 PM
If you think need it, here's an ECU on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1837933753

:confused:

POS carb
06-19-2002, 06:50 PM
how can you not shift into park? If your car has one of those stupid shift locks then your problem is that you probably cut the wire that gives it the signal to release.

dazedNconfused
06-20-2002, 04:17 AM
hey everybody:

I was on my way to paking things up and taking it to the shop... bypassed the shift lock and was on my way down the road when all of a sudden things started workingg... pulled off the road, turned the car off.. then back on again.. it did its little problem once more then never again... thought it was a short... reached under the dash and started moving ires... no short.. so who knows what happened but my lil honda works again... thanks for all the advice..

Nick

jerhardt
06-20-2002, 09:42 AM
I had this same problem y'day.

I was mucking about under the dash, trying to figure out which relay was which, and popped out the Fuel Pump relay (located on the back of the fuse box, left side if you are looking at the fuses).

It was not seated properly. When I took off, the car ran for a block, and then died. Nothing. Wouldn't start at all.

Popped this relay back in, and it worked fine. It may be blown on your end. They are about $20 (CDN). So try that.