PDA

View Full Version : speakers at circuit city

89accord_lxi_coupe
09-22-2003, 08:27 AM
ok i found a Polk 12" sub on www.circuitcity.com that's pushin 400 watts. i'm not an audio expert, so is a 12" at 400 watts a good sub, normally? the price is at sale price: $67.49 i believe. what's your take on it?

danronian
09-22-2003, 10:29 AM
To me it doesn't look like a great speaker but that is just from what I see. But for the money it might be worth it. Keep in mind that these speakers are only rated RMS at 50-175 watts, so if you put a steady 200 watts to them they will probably blow real fast.

toastyghost
09-22-2003, 02:09 PM
Polk is a decent brand for home audio but I'm agreeing with danronian on this one, that looks kind of sketch.

zero.counter
09-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Those GNX124s aren't half bad. They reproduce the entire sound spectrum of low tones with ultra clarity. I mean look at their frequency response, 18Hz - 400Hz, 20Hz is the lowest frequency perceivable by the human ear. I had two in a sealed box for a couple of months in the honda, until my brother in law made an offer I could not refuse.

When coupled with a good adjustable crossover and a well mannered amp, I noticed very responsive bass on my jazz tracks, especially Vinny Valentino (Smooth Jazz), where constant picking of the bass guitar with unorthodox rhythms, shine brightly.

With rap or bass head tracks, I enjoyed a great boom but not like a bandpass would do (real boomy), again very precise.

It matter on what you want to use it for. I myself, grew out of the heavy 2 blocks down bass, and into precision-tuned enveloping musical clarity.

Bloodlust
09-22-2003, 02:49 PM
I am hesitant on posting about speakers because i have been bashed on in the past but here it goes: I really wouldnt go with Polk, and I agree with Danronian about the power handling. It really doesnt matter what the max power of a speaker is. It all matters what the RMS is. Like for instance, I have a 12 inch MB Quart PWD304. That sub handles 750 watts RMS. Its max power is probably like 1,000-1,500 watts. But if I ever gave it that much power it would surely fry. So I would go with something like Kenwood or MB Quart or even Audiobahn. Audiobahn are cheap and they sound pretty good. Hope that was of some help. PM me if any other questions.

shepherd79
09-22-2003, 02:53 PM
it is nice looking sub.
i just want to add. You get what you pay for.

sysprog
09-23-2003, 07:08 AM
If you realy want thumpin bass & clarity go with KICKER SOLO BARRAKS 10'S are all you need unless your gonna wear earplugs!!!

RED LXI
09-23-2003, 02:03 PM
IF YOU WANT TO CUT THE BULLSHIT OF GOING THROUGH CHEAP SPEAKERS THAT YOU WILL EVENTUALLY WANT TO CHANGE JUST GO JL AND CALL IT A DAY. IN THE END YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE SPENT MORE THAN THEIR COST A BUNCH OF CRAPPY WOOFERS THAT YOUR NOT SATISFIED WITH, JUST MY TWO CENTS.:stupid: