PDA

View Full Version : Something went boom.....uhoh.

XBLCanterX
06-19-2002, 08:51 AM
I was driving my bros 91 Prelude yesterday and I was coming up a hill at a pretty quick speed (and about 5k RPMs) and I heard what sounded like a loud pop coming from the exhaust (or at least thats where it sounded like it was coming from) anyway...the car started to shudder really really bad and then it cut completely off on me. I was close enough to coast home from where this happened (lucky). when I got it home i tried to crank it again but when it cranked it started rattling really bad around the exhaust and it sounded like a freakin gokart and it wouldnt stay running unless I constantly gave it gas....whats up with it?? any ideas? everything looks OK under the valve cover, nothing broke or anything....might I have blown the head gasket?
any ideas welcome... thanks.

tyne89
06-19-2002, 02:03 PM
sounds like it backfired which could do some bad damage to lots of things

Sabz5150
06-19-2002, 02:34 PM
Do a compression check on all cylinders... you may have thrown a rod...

-5150 :bandit:

ACCORD EX
06-19-2002, 03:19 PM
if it doesn't run without gas ! so it could be the IDLE MIXTUER SCREW fell offf ( the one that determines the Air / Fuel mixture )

second thing try filling you car up with gas ! may it the gas was mixed with water !

MIKE

BoredRec
06-19-2002, 04:49 PM
Pull the distributor cap. If you say it sounds like popping the timing might be off a bit cuz the distributor is taking a dump causing the rotor to melt and change positions.

XBLCanterX
06-20-2002, 10:04 AM
the engine seems to rattle really bad when I attempt to crank it....it turns over fine...but it is hesitant to actually fire and start...I know the engine isnt locked up.

oh yeah....i didnt think OHC engines had rods to be thrown???

jteuton
06-20-2002, 10:30 AM
yeah....it doesn't have push rods which you really can't throw anyway....all cars have connecting rods though...throw a rod off the crank and that will make some noise....jteuton

XBLCanterX
06-20-2002, 11:15 AM
ok ill check the compression... does anyone know the comp. specs for a 91 Honda Prelude Si 2.1L FI so i can make sure its right???

XBLCanterX
06-20-2002, 11:16 AM
I was also wondering if it could be something like the TPS or the O2 Sensor gone bad...? who knows...

shepherd79
06-20-2002, 12:57 PM
it can be that one of the teeth on timming belt chiped out and your timing is off. i am just guessing. i have see this happen. it would crank, it sounds like it is going to start but it doesn't.

BoredRec
06-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Have you checked the distributor rotor yet? Only takes a second and a 7mm socket on a ratchet.

jteuton
06-20-2002, 07:00 PM
ok....lets stop acting stupid and think about this logically. you obviously don't want to spend hours checking thinks it isn't. Is the check engine light on? This could prove to be valuable info. A loud boom hardly sounds like a sensor going bad, but if the light ain't on its probably not computer related. Turn the key over to on but don't crank...listen to the fuel pump prime....check all fuel connections under the hood. Look for any visual signs that something has went wrong. If it sounds good turning over than the internals are probably alright...Is it leaking anything? Did it smoke or anything after the boom. If it was a backfire you could have blown a gasket and you will know cause coolant will end up in your oil and the exhaust will smoke white with it running. Have somebody else crank and give the car gas to keep it running and you take a look under the hood. Pull each sparkplug wire at a time with insulated pliers and see if they are sparking. Check all belts and hoses. You'll find it eventually

XBLCanterX
06-21-2002, 09:44 AM
engine light is not on...the car turns over fine....however it has a little trouble starting but thats not the problem (b/c it's always had trouble)....the problem comes when it finally starts... the enging rattles and jerks horribly and wont stay running unless I hold down the gas pedal...im pretty sure the engine "internals" are ok...because it does turn over fine but wont stay running...i am replacing the plugs and VC gasket as well as the spark plug seal rings today...I know theyre not the reason for all this but they need to be replaced anyway. but back to the problem at hand...everything shakes from the engine itself to the tailpipe... oh yeah and as far as smoke....it did smoke black for a few seconds after I recranked it...but like I said earlier...it sounds like a go kart when it runs....its very aggrevating.. anyone that can help is appreciated.