PDA

View Full Version : Help problem with engine cutting out.

HostileJava
06-19-2002, 08:56 AM
Help problem with engine cutting out.

I don't know if any of you have a experience this before but this is what's happening:

After I drive the car for about 20 minutes the engine starts to cut in and out (almost feels like you stomping on the gas then the break) even though my foot is steady on the gas. This gets worse till it eventually gets to the point where I have to turn the car off and let it sit for a while. I thought maybe at first that there was water in my tank but I've filled up3 times since this started happening and put dry gas in each time and it doesn't seem to help at all. Any suggestions would be welcome. Please help me.

XBLCanterX
06-19-2002, 09:01 AM
sounds like what was wrong with mine...does it seem like it surgeing forward then stops....kinda jerking like?? mine was doing this and I found that I had vaccum leak...after I fixed it the problem was gone

HostileJava
06-19-2002, 09:21 AM
Yes that's how it feels. How do I locate a vaccum leak and are they hard to fix? I hope that's the problem if it's easy to fix.

HostileJava
06-19-2002, 05:49 PM
Did it do it all the time or only after it got warmed up?

smufguy
06-19-2002, 08:50 PM
u know one of those chines insence sticks? u can get a pack from walmart of walgreens for like 50 cents or a buck. light it up and go around your hoses after u visually checked the hoses for any cracks, snaps or even disconnections. the smoke will eventually get pulled in if there is a leak. but do it in like a garage or somethign where there is not much air circulation. since u have an lx-i it might be the fuel system problem with the main relay. ppl have been having probs with it recently. how is your fuel pump? is your throttle body clean? check those out too.

gr3k0sLaV
06-20-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by HostileJava
Help problem with engine cutting out.

I don't know if any of you have a experience this before but this is what's happening:

After I drive the car for about 20 minutes the engine starts to cut in and out (almost feels like you stomping on the gas then the break) even though my foot is steady on the gas. This gets worse till it eventually gets to the point where I have to turn the car off and let it sit for a while. I thought maybe at first that there was water in my tank but I've filled up3 times since this started happening and put dry gas in each time and it doesn't seem to help at all. Any suggestions would be welcome. Please help me.

I get that....but only when im practically out of fuel.
When my tank is pretty much empty ill stomp my foot down and the car will just accel, then just almost cut out then take off again. Afer I fuel up it disappears until the next time my fuel is nearly out.

damackz
06-20-2002, 01:57 AM
haha dude get that fixed b4 u get major problems yeah thats what mine did exactly! now itz like dead, check ur fuel pump and fuel filter. Check ur a/f screw man and get it checked b4 its too late.......check the EFI section for more of what happened

gr3k0sLaV
06-20-2002, 02:09 AM
Who me?

As I said its only happens when im running RIGHT on empty....and i mean empty as all hell.
Hell my parents car does the same and it only has 50,000km on the clock. When the fuel is way below empty.

vtec11
06-20-2002, 05:48 AM
why are you driving with the fuel so far below empty?

gr3k0sLaV
06-20-2002, 05:52 AM
I dont know how to refuel a car

smufguy
06-20-2002, 07:00 AM
and the award goes to gr3k0sLaV :D

HostileJava
06-20-2002, 07:58 AM
Do you thinks it is possible I have some water or rust in my gas.

smufguy
06-20-2002, 11:46 AM
its true that u have all kinds of nast shit in the gas tank. when i emptied mine, i could actually see rust and small pieces of silverish crap on the bottom. after 14 years, eveyrthing in the tank just peels off. thats why never allow the tank to go really low. but its a possibility. try some gas treatment and see how the car runs for a couple of days, if it still runs like before with no improvement, then something is wrong

shepherd79
06-20-2002, 12:51 PM
man it sounds like you have a problem with fuel pump. my friend has the same problem. he is replacing it right now.

HostileJava
06-20-2002, 01:20 PM
The more I think about it the more it seems like it only does it when I get below half a tank of gas. Does the fuel pump use the gas to cool it down and after half a tank my pump starts to over heat?

CASH24
06-21-2002, 12:47 AM
Mycar just did somthing like that tonight and now that i think but it I had less then have a tank of gas. But it's never doe that before. My check engine light also came on. Any ideas what it could be? Im going to have my codes read tomorrow hopefuly that will tell me something, and i'll let u know what happens. Maybe yours is the same problem.

HostileJava
06-21-2002, 12:19 PM
Well I can't figure it out, I'm taking it to the dealership wednesday(soonest I could get in) If anyone has any suggestions till then I'd appreciate them. If not I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

HostileJava
06-26-2002, 10:19 AM
Well, the dealership just called and they think I need a new Fuel pressure regulator. Apparently it's supposed to dump fuel back into the tank if pressure exceeds 36psi but mine was actually reaching 100psi. We'll see what happens after they replace that.

damackz
07-01-2002, 12:27 PM
Any update man?:pimp:

HostileJava
07-01-2002, 01:08 PM
Still waiting on the part, apparently it's on backorder.

HostileJava
07-03-2002, 01:50 PM
Looks like I needed a new fuel regulator. They said the old one looked like someone beat on it with a hammer.

Lester Lugnut
07-03-2002, 05:57 PM
It could be all sorts of things. To repeat what's already been covered:

Fuel pump, fuel pump relay, crud in tank, main relay, plugged up primary fuel filter. If your car is fuel injected, there's one filter under the hood. If carbed, one near the left rear tire and one under the hood near the brake booster.

Might also be a problem in the distributor if car is equipped with one.

I drained my gas tank not too long ago when I suspected crud in the gas tank. Park car on level surface when it's cooled down. Remove ground strap from battery(safety precaution). Under tank there's a drain plug. I seem to recall it's 17mm. Loosen and remove. Have a large pan handy, preferably something not made of metal. Moving a metal pan around could create a spark. Not good. Drain gas and examine. Reinstall plug and tighten sufficiently. Pour a gallon or two of fresh gas in car.

Best to do this when car is almost empty, but not too empty. Having 3-4 gallon of gas in the tank may help to push out debris if it does exist.

Don't forget to reinstall battery ground cable once you're ready to start car.

HostileJava
07-05-2002, 04:40 AM
Well, I picked up the car after I posted this and they assured me that the problem was remedied and I wasn't more than 5-7 minutes away from the dealership and bam it's starts doing it again. So I turn around and bring it back. Looks like I'm in for some more waiting.

monsonhonda
07-05-2002, 05:03 AM
i cant figure out whats up with my car. it starts of like going up,tthen down, untill it reaches temp. then it goes normal at idle. if you increase the revs at all it starts jumping up and down in intervals of approximately 300 rmp's. i dont know if it's a vacuum leak, if my servos are f/ckd up, if the guy before me ran the vacuum all screwy (he appears to have taken out something, where there would be a electronic plug coming from the fuel rail it is cut), or it could be my fuel system. im thinking of swapping in the head and throttle body with all vacuum compnents from my spare 89 but im not sure if it will work with my 88. i hope your problem gets solved before the dealership ends up having your buy practically a new car in parts.

peace

fussell