PDA

View Full Version : 2 seperate keys?

Razka
09-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Curious as to if there are 2 seperate keys for this car. When I got it, only came with one key - which doesn't work for the glovebox lock, gas/hood lock, or trunk lock. Is there any way to get the other key if there is one?

zero.counter
09-22-2003, 05:16 PM
You need to get the master key. I took my accessory key and the VIN down to a honda dealer, and they ordered me another master for $7.99 a couple of years ago. Benson Honda in S.A. is the name.

Razka
09-22-2003, 05:23 PM
So the master key does all the locks I can't open? and the accessory key starts the car and unlocks the doors? or is it the other way around...

zero.counter
09-22-2003, 05:28 PM
The master does what it says, opens everything. The accessory key only starts the car and opens the trunk. It does not work on the trunk lock inside the cabin and the glovebox.

Razka
09-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Crazy, I learn new shit every day about these cars, thanks for the quick responses!

DanG86LX
09-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Built with service in mind!
So when u take it to Honda for servicing, they won't pick through ur belonging in glove box or trunk! :lol :lol :lol

RustyHo88
09-22-2003, 07:29 PM
master key? i dont doubt you know what youre talking about, but on my car, the locks and ignition open with the regular car key, but the glove box and trunk/gas door locks open with any key from a honda. i tried it with my 84 key, 83 key, and even my dads 85 prelude key, they all worked. maybe when you had keys made, they used the wrong kind of keys to copy them on. just a thought

BITESIZE
09-22-2003, 07:30 PM
Damn, I didn't know that, I must have the master key all along, or is it different on hatchbacks? I mean, I really don't have a trunk.

zero.counter
09-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by RustyHo88
master key? i dont doubt you know what youre talking about, but on my car, the locks and ignition open with the regular car key, but the glove box and trunk/gas door locks open with any key from a honda. i tried it with my 84 key, 83 key, and even my dads 85 prelude key, they all worked. maybe when you had keys made, they used the wrong kind of keys to copy them on. just a thought
I'll pretend I didn't hear that...:D (J/K)

Really though, I would figure that if there was a single key that would open every accord, it would defeat the purpose of the lock, since any crooked locksmith could seel them.

When I bought my car, I only had the accessory key and wondered why in the fuck that key did not open the glove box and the trunk lock (cabin side). I went to the dealer and they ordered the master for that car based on the VIN and accessory (VIN was necessary for model type). Now, both of my keys have the original Honda Plastic moldings or OEM. :) and the master grants my every opening wish on that car.

Original is good, somewhat...

MrBen
09-22-2003, 07:44 PM
Honda only had so many key patterns (I don't recall the number, but it was not that many) to go around. If you went around sticking your key in every 3g, you'd eventually gain entry to one.

BITESIZE
09-22-2003, 07:47 PM
That's true, I had an 86 hatch, and the key for my new 89 hatch worked in it as well. I was like what the fuck. So if i can find out where my old 86 is, they are so screwed, because I never told them.

zero.counter
09-22-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
Honda only had so many key patterns (I don't recall the number, but it was not that many) to go around. If you went around sticking your key in every 3g, you'd eventually gain entry to one.
Hey bro, I never said that it was impossible, I was making a hypothetical comment.

The point of the thread is that there are two different types of keys available, at least for my old 1988 Accord LX. I purchased a master from the dealer (even the original manual described the two types of keys) and it unlocked everything on the car. As far as what else, who knows.

:D

MrBen
09-22-2003, 08:02 PM
I wonder if my key fits in Sean's car.

j/k :D

Grant2k
09-23-2003, 06:12 AM
every car came with 2 different keys, as was stated. the master key does everything, that's the key with the plastic end. the other one is the valet key. it only opens the driver's door and ignition so that a valet or mechanic can't touch what they don't have to. i lost my origional master key and had to have a copy made, from a copy of the origional master key. now my "master" key does not operate my glove box lock or the lock on my fuel tank/ trunk release lock on the floor next to the driver's seat. this is just because of how the key was cut. there is sort of an art to cutting keys and they don't always work. when i was getting my new one made after i lost my origional they had to make 3 different ones before one would both start my car and lock the doors. so if you don't have your origional key that could have something to do with why it doesn't work properly.