PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette lighter kill switch

Razka
09-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Searched but found nothing... not sure if this has been discussed yet. Wondering if there was some way to rig up the cig lighter to disable the car - sort of like a cheap anti-theft device. Push it in to be able to start the car... otherwise no go. Sort of like a keypad to start the car, but only one key to push!

zero.counter
09-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Well, you could splice a switch into the starter line from the fuse box like I did in my car for a while. I wired a 12-V ghetto valet switch when I was first tearing my car apart and it basically killed current to the starter motor. I used the little empty space next to the cruise control button to mount.

Dibbs
09-24-2003, 04:41 AM
Hookin that up to the Cig lighter would be kinda pimp though.

:pimp:

danronian
09-24-2003, 04:56 AM
People used to do that in the 60's to musclecars until theives realized they just need a cigarette lighter, but it might work today.

DBMaster
09-24-2003, 06:03 AM
For a while I had a key operated kill switch installed. When I later had to replace my ignition switch (had nothing to do with the kill switch) I decided not to bother reinstalling it. I cut the big wire from the ignition switch that goes to the starter and got a switch the is operated by a key (like the ones they used to use on old computer terminals). I soldered the wire ends to the switch and drilled the dash to install it by the steering column. You could also just use a heavy duty toggle switch hidden somewhere under the dash.

With the switch in the off position, you could get everything to work except the starter. Just enough confusion to frustrate a thief and send him to someone else's car. It was also enough to get a small discount on my comprehensive insurance.

danronian
09-24-2003, 07:41 AM
Another idea would be mounting the toggle switch in the glovebox (that is if you have the valet key, which I don't).

catalin
09-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Cigarette lighter can be easily done... maybe combine it with the brake. In order to start the car you'd have to push the lighter in and step on the brake.

Lighter would have be disabled though. Take the postive side of the lighter, which should be a white/blue wire on Hondas and connect it to terminal 85 on a standard Bosch relay. Terminal 86 would be connected to the green/white brake wire which can be found at the brake switch or in the kick panel.
Terminal 30 can be the starter wire from the key cylinder and terminal 87 can be the wire going to the starter and you're done.

When I have sometime if you guys are interested I can draw it out and post a picture.

POS carb
09-26-2003, 09:20 AM
cool.
I heard about the cigarette lighter idea, never seen it though...
I guess you can do it simply by running your starter signal through it (the 2 wires coming off the back) so that when you push it in it completes the circuit.

toastyghost
09-26-2003, 06:49 PM
This is a pretty cool idea. I never thought about it before but it seems like it would be straightforward enough to wire.

catalin
09-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by POS carb
cool.
I heard about the cigarette lighter idea, never seen it though...
I guess you can do it simply by running your starter signal through it (the 2 wires coming off the back) so that when you push it in it completes the circuit.

Running the starter wire through it will most likely cause you some big problems since that wire is way too small to handle 30amps+ of current.
Using a relay like I mentioned above is the best way.