PDA

View Full Version : Suspension tools

smufguy
09-22-2003, 09:31 PM
IS there any kinda special spring compressor for our cars? Cause my mechanic mentioned that the regular clamps/ spring compressors wont work. is it true?

BITESIZE
09-22-2003, 09:41 PM
You need a strut/spring compressor, I think that's what it is called.

AZmike
09-22-2003, 10:08 PM
The regular type works ok on the rear. The front springs are small enough coil diameter that the hooks that grab the spring dig into the damper dust covers.

BITESIZE
09-22-2003, 10:10 PM
Yah, On the front I just used a hammer, it was a bitch but it should work.

shepherd79
09-23-2003, 03:28 AM
you can use spring compressor, you just have to find one that will fit. it took a me a log time to find a correct one.
look at NAPA.

Grant2k
09-23-2003, 06:16 AM
a regular one will work in the front but you will not get as much of the spring to compress because of the amount of dead coils and how tightly the coils wrap as they progress to the more open end of the spring. this will be especially noticable when you put in the newer, shorter springs. on the rear the springs are soft enough that you can really just lean on them if you have somebody to help you.

DBMaster
09-23-2003, 08:01 AM
I was able to use the ones that Auto Zone lets you borrow for free.

86AccordLxi
09-23-2003, 08:56 AM
I didn't use a compressor on my front coils because I couldn't get it to fit. just undid the nut and got out of the way :D I don't recommend that, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Acutally, on stock springs, it didn't "launch" very far at all, maybe a foot or two.....on lowering springs....much different story (almost hit cdscowboy! lol).

Alex

k-roy
09-23-2003, 09:32 AM
haha

86AccordLxi
09-23-2003, 09:35 AM
HAHAAHAH. That's funny....the top just launched right past matt (cds) and i think might have hit the air compressor (this at my dad's house-i'll post pics later of his setup). Kinda funny.

Alex

smufguy
09-23-2003, 09:37 AM
thanks for the replies fellas:wave: . I guess honda dealership might have one which my mechanic is trying to get hold of. I talked to the dude at Autozone and he said they dont have em in stock and pep boys is full of crap and i got no NAPA around my place except a shitty one that wont let us borrow the tools. ANyway, im still waiting for my mechanic to call me and give me weekend to have it fixed.

PS: How do i adjust and max out the rebound on my Konis? Mine did not come with the adjusting knob but i see it has an allen key type adjuster on the top.