PDA

View Full Version : 2-Way or 3-Way?

Dibbs
09-23-2003, 05:28 AM
If I can get a pair of rear speakers, both JBL, for $20 difference between 2-way & 3-way, is it worth the price to go w/ the 3-way?

Here are links to the speakers in question

2-way (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-42PFOSQjf3Q/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=52000&I=109GTO625&o=p&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y)

3-way (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-42PFOSQjf3Q/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=52000&I=109GTO635&o=p&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y)

Also, I am running a component system. The subs run at 15W and I don't know what the tweeters run at. If I get these speakers in the 2-60W range and I'm running a head unit w/ 50X4, am I going to need an amp?

shepherd79
09-23-2003, 03:55 PM
you won't need amp, your HU max power is 50x4 HU don't have big enough amp to put out more than 30Watts per channel.
your best bet would be to get 4 channel amp.

IMO 3 way speakers have more highs and they sound better.

zero.counter
09-23-2003, 04:03 PM
If you are running components in the front, placing 3-way speakers in the back would hurt the soundstage, that is unless you want a multiphonic stage which may cancel out certain frequencies.

I would recommend a 2-way coaxial speaker to fill the rear and provide a well-balanced planar soundstage for front and rear passengers. It would accompany the high frequency to an extent and help more in the mid-bass range. Or the other option would be to fill the rear with mid-bass speakers and the fron passengers would get the best effect.

I would also shy away from using the HU internal amp to power your setup and stick with a MOSFET powered amp for the extra safety of the system in mind. 4-WAY is perfect.

Dibbs
09-24-2003, 04:39 AM
Is this what you guys are talking about?

Amp (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-E4iDW1EA5II/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=158XM460&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y)

Is this too much for what I plan on pushing? Say I go w/ the 3-ways. They run 2-60w RMS, I'm only running 15W for my component system up front. Does getting this amp create the possibility for blowing speakers if I get a bit over-zealous? If so, which ones and are there any ways of trying to prevent this as a saftey measure, like fuses or the like?

wallyyfm
09-24-2003, 06:46 AM
:barf:

danronian
09-24-2003, 07:39 AM
From friends experiences and many stories on the board, sony amps arent that good at all. I have heard that the profile amps hold up well and produce what they are rated for, and they are about the same price and less.

shepherd79
09-24-2003, 08:16 AM
ohhh god, stay away from Sony, they make crap.
here is better choice http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-zLl6n1HkVWC/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=500MRPF240&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

or this
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-zLl6n1HkVWC/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=113KAC6401&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

or even this
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-zLl6n1HkVWC/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=236T6304&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

you can blow speakers, but that is why you have gain controls on the amp.

MrBen
09-24-2003, 09:36 AM
I have 3-way Pioneer speakers all around. It sounds great, with good highs and excellent bass. I don't know why you would want an amp when without it, it sounds very good and is loud.

Dibbs
09-25-2003, 01:35 PM
My bad, I didn't know Sony got so much love around here.:rolleyes: ;)

I wasn't really particular to the brand, I was more curious about the rating. Thanks Shepherd, that did help clear things up. Could you explain how gain controls would help as it pertains to my system (15W Front, 2-60W rear)

Ghetto, If I don't need an amp I won't get one. My system is pretty loud for my tastes right now. I figured some 3-ways in the back you provide a better, louder sound. I'm really trying to learn about car audio more than anything. It's funny, I have degrees in Chemical and Mechanical Engineering but I can barely screw in a light bulb when it comes to electrical.
:stupid:

Bloodlust
09-25-2003, 01:45 PM
I'd go with the 3-ways. They always seem to sound better. You should be fine without an amp.

zero.counter
09-25-2003, 02:14 PM
You are very welcome for my input BTW.
As far as using an external amp to power other speakers, yes it can sound good with the head unit. But if you want really great sound, then I would suggest using an external amp.

Rear fill refers to the presence of depth and ambiance in music. A properly designed system using two channels will reproduce original rear fill on the source without rear high frequency drivers. Since recordings are made in two channels, that is all you will need to reproduce it. What is captured at the recording session (coincident pair mics, Blumlein mic patterns, etc.) by a two channel mic array will capture the so called rear fill or ambiance. Many of the winning IASCA vehicles have no rear high frequency drivers. Also a lot of this has to do with system tuning. If rear high frequency drivers are added, however, the power level of the rear fill speakers should be lower than that of the front speakers, or else you will lose your front-primary staging, which is not what you want (when was the last time you went to a concert and stood backwards?). The proper amount of amplification for rear fill speakers is the point where you can just barely detect their presence while sitting in the front seat. Separates are not a requirement for rear fill; in fact, you may be better of with a pair of coaxial speakers, as separates may throw off your staging.

Anyways, I am pretty sure that you get the point. When I listen to music, I really listen. I believe the term audiophile is correct.

Send me a PM, if you have any other questions.:wave:

MrBen
09-25-2003, 02:51 PM
Maybe the reason I think it sounds so great is because I have severe hearing damage in both ears. I wear hearing aids and have a tough time hearing people, so I read lips. When I listen to music, I can't understand the words most of the time but it sounds good. That's all I care about. So my opinion might be irrelevant.