PDA

View Full Version : help with passing e-test

rideredorgohome
09-23-2003, 07:43 AM
hey peeps....just wondering if you guys could help me out. Took my car in for e-test today and it FAILED!!!!!:rant: This e-test stuff is a load of crap. I think it just picks on people....oh well I'll stop complaining now. Was wondering if anyone would be able to help me find out why it failed as i am short on $$$$ and can't really afford to spend very many simoleans onthis baby. When they tested the car, the curb idle test was perfect. My CO and HC numbers were way under what they were allowed. My NO readings were 200ppm over though. I just put a brand spanking new dynomax cat on, along with a new dynomax muffler and intermediate pipe. I have not done anything else so far, although I do have a PCV valve that I have not put on yet. Could the problem just be that my carb is out of adjustment? If so, how can I adjust it so that it will pass??? I currently still have stock carburetion on my vehicle. Thank you.

jb2wheels
09-23-2003, 07:53 AM
I've heard a couple of bottles of HEET or similar in the tank help. Not verified though

jb2wheels
09-23-2003, 07:59 AM
notes from another group I belong to...YMMV

"Do this only if you want to pass emissions:

A) Install fresh plugs, properly gapped.
B) Put 4 bottles of HEET in the gas tank & top off
tank
C) Adjust the idle mixture screws, which should be
on the front base of the carb. Clockwise is
leaner,
and counterclockwise is richer. Adjust each with
the engine running, right up to the point of
stalling the engine, then back off 1/4 turn. (FOR A GM CARB)
D) New air filter.
E) Spray the inside of carb with Gumout (or similar)
while the car is running. Get it CLEAN--no black
carbon buildup!
F) Fresh oil & filter."

"Canadian Tire sells a potion specifically to help pass emissions tests.
It's called something like Can't Fail and is in the gas additives section.
It works good . The Drive Clean test on my 92 Caprice last month brought in
numbers a fraction of the maximum limits. Premium gas and a can of "Can't
Fail" did the trick."

89AccordHatch
10-03-2003, 08:39 PM
when the guy tells you you failed... if your alone ask him "is there any way i can get around this?" and have your wallet in your hands and slowly slide the corner of a fifty out so he can see it.

drknow
10-04-2003, 01:47 PM
hehehe....yea buddy

k-roy
10-04-2003, 02:01 PM
One thing you can do is get it nice and warmed up then retard the Ignition a few degrees.

pimp86LX
10-04-2003, 02:04 PM
my ignition timing was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off, and i failed it 3 times. Pull out the old timing light and give it a check.

wannaswapab20
10-04-2003, 06:47 PM
aroudn my area they only hook ur car up the computer if it is a 96 or up. 95 back to 76 they jsut give a visual inpspection to make sure u have a cat adn dsoem vacuum lines.

rideredorgohome
10-05-2003, 04:52 PM
well, my buddy has a timing light and he checked it for me. he said it was about 6 degrees retarded already. he also said that that was what our cars usually run at. We are not totally sure though because my haynes manual does not say the timing setting and my hood sticker is missing. can anyone tell me what the timing setting should be at and whether setting it any more retarded will make me pass my Nox reading?

rideredorgohome
10-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Anyone??????:sadwave:

rideredorgohome
10-25-2003, 08:26 AM
HELP??

DanG86LX
10-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Seems that u ignored the good advice in this thread!
As for the timing, i dont agree, it should be set on mark like in Haynes or here:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=661&highlight=timing+advance
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17588&highlight=timing+advance

keruhas184
11-02-2003, 09:57 AM
I have the same problem with the NOx reading. I posted a thread in gen. tech. but nobody has replied. My other readings are nothing short of amazing for 87 225k car.

From what I understand (and I'm probably wrong), NOx are oxides that form at high combustion temperature, and are corrected with proper carb/engine adjustment.

My question is, can I get the NOx down by using lower grade fuel (87) instead of the premium (94) by lowering the combustion temp. with lower octane?

I know that my main problem is proper tuning/engine details, which I am trying to solve, but maybe just using "bad" gas will help?

Thanks for the help

prozacposterboy
04-18-2004, 06:17 AM
what about carb rebuilding? If your NOX are so high i believe thats a sign of impropper fuel richness. Im not sure (since i have an EFI) if youve got a air/fuel adjustment needle on those carbs or if its fixed. I know im not much help, but a rebuilt carb will be better for performance, emissions and everyday driving.

P.

prozacposterboy
04-18-2004, 06:21 AM
...and emissions testing is not stupid and doesnt pick on most people.. certian states such as california are a little biast towards the older cars by requiring strict emissions levels. But even with a strict level, for the most part (obviously there are politics involved, and a big wad of cash) emissions testing is good for you. I just dont agree with certian laws, once again such as california, sating that all emissions components by installed on the vehicle regardless of the output out the pipe. Personally, I think if it runs cleaner without the smog pump on it, then so be it.

Just my rant.. later

P.

keruhas184
04-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Hey,

I should have replied earlier. But replacing the EGR valve solved the problem for me. I just barely passed. Since then I replaced the cap+rotor, plugs, wires, coil, adjusted the timing, and will soon replace the O2 sensor. Oh, and the most important mod: Flipped the carb lid :rockon: :thumbup:

She runs much better now. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine in 2 years, if the car is still alive by then (things ready to go: tranny/cluth, alt)

So thanks for your help for keeping my 3g on the road.

accord3Gkidd415
09-28-2004, 03:21 PM
i'm no mechanic and i need some suggestions... i just bought a 3g lx and previous owner failed smog twice. first time they said change cat, but he did this and came back and the car failed once again, but with worser results (almost twice as bad). i don't wan't to smog car again w/ trying to attempt to fix the problems. please help me....

A20A1
09-29-2004, 10:30 AM
NOx is reduced by the EGR, cause it lower combustion temps.

There are at least 2 different vacuum souces used for the EGR.
one is throttle port vacuum
the other is manifold vacuum
the all connect to a big valve body inside the black box

you can look at the shop manual and test the EGR valve.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=25137