PDA

View Full Version : How hard to replace distributor oil seal?

DBMaster
09-23-2003, 08:38 AM
It looks like mine might be leaking, but it's hard to tell because I know the valve cover's leaking. I thought I might go ahead and replace the distributor seal at the same time if it's not too hard.

Is it pretty straightforward? Do you just remove the three bolts to the head and disconnect the wire harness and vacuum lines?

Thanks!

k-roy
09-23-2003, 09:35 AM
That is pretty much it, be sure to put a mark on the outside of the distributor and the engine so you can line it back up straight. Also do not spin the gear on the end of the distributor, you might regret it.

BootMachine
09-23-2003, 09:50 AM
dont cross the advance/retard vaccuum lines going to the black piece on the dist......

DBMaster
09-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Good deal. Glad to hear that's it.

danronian
09-23-2003, 02:34 PM
Since taking off the distributer and replacing the valve cover gasket arent really related, why don't you just replace the valve cover and then see if it is fixed instead of going through unneccessary trouble? I am actually in the same situationa and when I adjust the valves I am going to do the cover gasket, clean the engine and see if the distributer is leaking also.

DBMaster
09-24-2003, 06:25 AM
Good point, Dan. The valve cover gasket I am using now is an aftermarket and they just don't seem to work as well as the factory ones. And, I am due for a valve adjustment, anwyay.