PDA

View Full Version : EFI swap..

3rd GEN
06-19-2002, 12:31 PM
hey to all those who have done a Carb-EFI swap...

I am gonna be gettin an efi swap done soon aswell, as that is my next project.. but I was just wondering from those who have done it..

approx how much $$ did it cost to do??
how long of a job is it??
did you take it to a place to do the work or do the work your self??

thanks alot guys...

ACCORD EX
06-19-2002, 02:45 PM
talk to carotman ! he's the guy who made it by himself ! and check the how to section here
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112

MIKE

GreenMachine
06-19-2002, 03:16 PM
I'm about 1/2 way thru the conversionb or I would like to think so ..lol
Well I'm doin the work my self ..... but I will be spending around
- $750 engine - with, distributor, alt, ex manifold, down pipe, cpu
- $85 wire harness, vacumn box, fuel evaporation stuff
- the pump will be about $80 or so haven't actually priced that out yet
-The tank not sure - not changing mine yet
- probably abot 150 for other little parts - filters, hoses etc
this was can $
So that about how much I'm spending not counting all the other parts I'm putting on shocks, prelude arms, alarm, side markers

Depends if your pullin the whole engine out, incl tranny - then count on buyin new lower balljoints - unless you can get them apart without ripping the boot ....yeah right...:p

hornet
06-19-2002, 08:08 PM
My whole conversion cost less than $300!!
I started with an 88 a20a1/5speed car, bought a complete 89 SEI a20a3/automatic car for $225.00 at an auto action, and completely stripped EVERYTHING (except the automatic trans) out of the 89 and put in in the 88. The only problem I have is I think the carbed cars had a little less agressive gearing in the transaxle than the EFI cars.
I worked on the swap just about every day before and after work for 2 weeks. It was a lot of work but not real hard to do if you have a bit of experience with working on cars.
My accord is used for dirt track racing so I didn't have to be real careful putting the interior stuff back together since the car is completely gutted out.

Good luck..........

smufguy
06-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Altenator 25
Atmospheric pressure sensor 5
Cabin wire harness 40
Charcoal canister 15
Computer 25
Coolant splitter 1
Distributor 20
EGR pipe 5
Engine bay wire harness 15
Fuel Filter 5
Fuel Lines -
Gas Tank 25
Gauge Cluster 40
Header -
Injector resistor box -
Intake manifold 60
Intake manifold bracket -
metal coolant pipe -
Thermostat 10
Throttle cable 10
underdash wires 10
Vacuum control box 10

Total 321

sorry abou the pricings all wabbly and shit, had to paste from excel. well as u can see, i got lucky with the junkyard and its the dude i know so he gives me stuff for less. get a parts car. u would be better off with that. get a parts car for around 400-500 bucks (US dollars).

ripping apart your car should take you atleast 3-4 days saying u work from lets say morning 9 am to 5 pm with someone to help you. or even u can finish it that fast

ripping the other car apart would take u almost the same time. so u got yourself 10 days or total "ripping cars off" deal here.

assuming u got new gaskets for the intake manifold, exhaust manifold and new O rings for your AC lines. you shoudl be able to finish this whole thing under 3 weeks. that is saying, ur working from 9-5. just make sure how everything goes in and never give up when ur on the way. if u need some help, i can give u a detailed how to on it. i am writing a how to with detail step by step and i can send u the file if u need. visit carotman's website and talk to greenmachnie too. they are the ones whom i see everyday on the board and who have done/doing it. there is another dude Derik, i dont seem him around, he is doing some body work like mine too. have fun

smufguy
06-19-2002, 08:18 PM
If u have a parts car and wanna change the engine u can swap it no big deal, if u get seperate parts u DONT need a new engine and trans. just make sure u get the same tranny (5 speed or auto) for the swaps cause wiring might be a prob with the guage on the 5spd and auto.

GreenMachine
06-19-2002, 09:22 PM
Looks like you got a pretty smokin deal :werd: on some of those parts especially the cpu .....:flipa: :D

3rd GEN
06-19-2002, 09:33 PM
hey greenmachine...

sweet your in chilliwack..I am in Richmond...
we should hook up some time.. if ever I am out your way or you are comin into town..I wanna see your swap...and how it's lookin..
I am prolly gonna take mine to a place such as Next Level to do my swap.. since they specialize in engine swaps...and that kinda stuff...

but I just wanted to have a rough Idea of what type of pricetag I would be lookin at...

so from what I hear it could be anywhere from $300 - $800....

mmmm thats not too bad....

I plan on keepin my existing engine...and 5spd tranny..

so i just need ecu, harness, alt, and that other stuff...

YK86
06-19-2002, 09:53 PM
I never knew Greenmachine was from Chilliwack. I used to play alot of baseball there and take a few of my college classes at the UCFV Chilliwack campus. I stopped by Riteway and Pick-a-part once in a while to.
For 3rd gen, I would try calling a few of the wreckers to see if they will sell you a whole car for like $300 CAD. I heard they have to cut the car in half for them to sell a whole car but atleast you'll get everything you need plus you can take the stuff out that might get cut before they cut it. As for labour costs, I can see the shop charging $1000 CAD or more. It's going to take alot of labour even for an experienced swap shop.

GreenMachine
06-19-2002, 11:00 PM
Sweet ! I didn't think there was anybody on the board from the lower mainland. Ya we should definetly have a meet

By al meens 3rd gen we could hook up and you could check out how things are goin, but gotta go, WORKS over time to go home !:werd:

YK86
06-19-2002, 11:54 PM
Check out www.vancouveraccords.com !

GreenMachine
06-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Hey SMUFGUY I see you listed thermostat - you meen for the rad right - why do you need to swap that out too ? :confused: :bh:

smufguy
06-21-2002, 06:58 AM
its the thermostat near the distributor on the engine block. its cause, the efi uses two sensors in it, while the carb uses just one. did u take out an egr pipe too (from the lxi?). list all the parts u have got so far man. I could see if u missed anything cause i have forgotten stuff but now, i got everythingi need.

hey get a gas tank and the fuel feed line too. IF u use the carb tank, u will run into probs after 1/4th of the tank is used up. Thats what carotrman said and besides, i dont wanna get new gasket for thefuel pump cover. :rolleyes: and the gas tank here with all the fuel lines is just 25 bucks. :lol

carotman
06-21-2002, 07:40 AM
Well, the 2 tanks have different part numbers but are fully interchangeable.

I heard a guy with a B18C swap that had fuel feed problems below 1/4 (he had a carbed tank)

smufguy
06-21-2002, 04:52 PM
yo beer baron :p , would the gas tank and the fuel feel line off of a Lx-i coupe (1989) fit my car? I konw the gas tank would not be a problem but my thing is it seems like the coupe and the sedan have the same wheel base, so the feed line should be the same size right? i need some quick response from anyone who reads this, cause if i cant do it tomorrow, then i gotta wait for a month to get it. i wont be here for a month thats why. :(

carotman
06-21-2002, 04:56 PM
yeah they are the same

I checked the part numbers on hondaautomotiveparts and they were the same ;)

Just check by yourself to be 100% sure

smufguy
06-21-2002, 05:53 PM
sweet, dude carot u konw what. i am here and asking stuff and ur not there to answer them. but when i ask something really serious stuff like this, bam u are right there to save me. You are a freaking god man. :D

3rd GEN
06-22-2002, 01:05 AM
ya.. I knew about changin the tank and all that stuff too..

did it have problems with 1/4 tank left.. or 1/4 into the tank.. like with 3/4 left??

smufguy
06-22-2002, 05:29 AM
1/4th of tank used up = 3/4th of tank left :rolleyes:

carotman
06-22-2002, 06:04 AM
I think it was with 1/4 left in it and when going into big curves (like highway ramps) The car would sputter....

Too bad the old board isn't there anymore to dig the info.

Now for the Fuel pipe.... here are some goo news

Sedan Fuel Pipe (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KL5MT&catcgry5=FUEL+PIPE+%28PGM-FI%29)

Coupe Fuel Pipe (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=2DR+LXI&catcgry4=KL5MT&catcgry5=FUEL+PIPE+%28PGM-FI%29)

They state a different number but they are wrong, I checked the Official Honda part number and it's both

17700-SE0-930 (Fuel Feed Pipe)

Even the Aerodeck used the same part number so I guess that the Hatch is the same too

Don't trust www.hondaautomotiveparts.com as if they were god, they can help but sometimes they can lead to errors.

smufguy
06-22-2002, 08:22 AM
no kidding, i thought it was 1/4th the way down. sorry 3rg gen, did not mean to mislead you man.

hey carotman, i could not unbolt the feed line under the chassy. what can i do man? its a pain in the ass to do it. i could not get the bolt to turn with the 14mm wrench. i gotta leave tomorrow so i guess i will have to wait for a month (after i come back) to get the feed line out. is there anyway, we could use a rubber hose for the feed line carot? i highly suspect we coudl cause in the engine bay it bolts on the the fuel filter. :rant: damn those frozen bolts, i hate em

carotman
06-22-2002, 01:20 PM
yeah you could buy some high pressure flexible hoses and install fitting on each end. You don't need to use the OEM line.

I dunno what kind of hose it would be but I suspect a braided hose would do it.

I think that funstick did that when he installed the EFI system.

smufguy
06-22-2002, 03:18 PM
i am gonna go with the metal fuel line. It looks clean sturdy and good. IT will take some time to get everything together. but it will be done.