PDA

View Full Version : brakes going bad??

89AccordLvr
09-23-2003, 03:56 PM
last week i experianced a scary ride im driving and when i go take a turn and i put the brakes on it goes all the way to the floor or very close to it and it barely slowed down and i had to use my ebrakes or i was headin right into the tree but then on the next stop light it worked fine. its been doin that on and off every once and awhile. im almost sure that it not the fluid cuz that's full so what am i looking at to replace?

NXRacer
09-23-2003, 04:06 PM
sounds like your master cylinder is going out. Try bleeding your brakes and see what happens. IF that doesnt help, i'd suspect the master cylinder.

BITESIZE
09-23-2003, 04:26 PM
That happened when one of my front brake lines blew out. THe one above the tires and hooks to the strut/shocks.

MrBen
09-23-2003, 04:58 PM
When your brake line bursts, it will not work one time, and then at a later time work just fine.

When my brake line burst, bam, that was it.

Your master cylinder sounds like it is going. It could be air in the lines if you have recently done brake work.

danronian
09-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Mine does that sometime when I use the a/c and am in traffic. I have to push it all the way to the floor, then it starts stopping. I havent figured out why mine does it though. But since I stopped using the a/c since I know it has a leak, it stopped doing it.

shepherd79
09-24-2003, 03:21 AM
it is the master cylinder.

bigpoppa88
09-24-2003, 07:36 AM
I agree , it's the master cylinder, I just did mine and my son did his , we both had the same symptom...........

danronian
09-24-2003, 07:52 AM
Was the symptom low pedal when braking with the a/c? And if so, how much was the assembly?

89AccordLvr
09-24-2003, 06:13 PM
how much will it cost me to get it fixed like what is the range and is it something that should be replaced every miles or time or just when it goes bad.

DBMaster
09-24-2003, 06:52 PM
I have replaced the M/C twice on mine. They seem to go out every 100K miles or so. You will notice the pedal sinking to the floor most often when the engine compartment gets really warm, like in the summer. The heat will lower the viscosity of the brake fluid and allow it to slip past the worn piston seals.

I bought an aftermarket M/C at a non-chain auto parts place. It at least LOOKED like a good one. It was new (not rebuilt) and cost me about $60.

danronian
09-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Well thats cheap at least. Did you notice any loss of brake fluid, or is it a very small amount? I say this b/c I have never added brake fluid to my car since it has never been below the top mark.

89AccordLvr
09-25-2003, 10:47 AM
how longs does it take for a true mechanic to install

ACCORD EX
09-25-2003, 01:04 PM
may be one line is dead ! and then the propotioning ( or what's it called ) came in to cut the oil out of this line and the brakes were going ok then !

Mike!