PDA

View Full Version : power steering hose is hosed

cmzinner
09-23-2003, 05:24 PM
hi-ya...I got this power steering hose (the high press. one) on my 89lxi 4d that is dripping crazy amounts of fluid on the exhaust manifold...I want a new hose and I wanna order it online.

queston: any good link to parts online for an old beast like mine (248k miles :super: )?

Vinny
09-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Lotsa good parts out there, but the best bet is probably going to be local parts stores

DBMaster
09-23-2003, 06:57 PM
When I replaced mine, the cheapest place by far was NAPA. It might have even been a mistake in their parts system because it was only $26. That was about five years ago and it's still good.

BITESIZE
09-23-2003, 07:18 PM
I have the same problem, it broke off where it mounts to the pump.

DBMaster
09-24-2003, 06:22 AM
Mine had spring a leak at the crimp seal where it attaches to the pump and it sprayed fluid on the exhaust manifold as well. It was kind of a pain to replace mostly because it was hard to get the metal tubing part down to where it need to go to attach to the steering gearbox.

I called a bunch of places and every place I called had it as a "special order" part for over $100. When I called NAPA they said they could get it the next day and it was $26. I said, "are you sure that's the right hose." The guy said, "Why does everybody ask that?" I don't know if NAPA still has them for $26, but if they do get one because they are a lot more money everywhere else. I would definitely not go used on a part like this.

Vinny
09-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Check NAPA, AutoZoned, and Advanceauto's website to get a fair idea, then let em pricematch each other for ya .
If nothing else a tubing and hose shop can usually make you one, thats what I used to do with all mu lines A/C, powersteering, and the like. The just redo the hose, crimp it back together, good to go. I don't worry about it now, I got a full spare P.S. assembly in the garage, pump, rack, all lines and everything, only thing I don't have is the cooling line, I needed it............25 bucks for the whole deal......EBAY baby.