PDA

View Full Version : what are some things u have/had hooked up cheaply???

lightbulblxi
09-23-2003, 06:35 PM
i got a question, what are some of the cheapest ways you have/had hooked up???

For me, i have my foglights connected with speaker wire, the harnesses for hooking up my new cd player to the car didnt match up, so instead of buying an adapter, i stripped the wiresw. it works, but a lot of stuff is fucked up from it, and my worst thing is having my catback/muffler being held up with clothes hangers. IMO, what ever works works. I goin for power, not looks.

P.S.- i am very cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:super:

zero.counter
09-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Zip ties holding up the bumpers :)

Cyric_accord
09-23-2003, 07:28 PM
replacing the driver's side window motor controller with the passenger window motor controller

BDaccordguy
09-23-2003, 08:42 PM
i cut some wire off my stereo amp's ground wire to use as a ground wire for my engine.

al010101
09-23-2003, 11:13 PM
hmmm my saab has a hyundai sonata exhaust i....made fit but it fell off and is hanging by coat hangers, my bmw has some jb weld on the oil pan to seal a rather large hole, and theres a hole in the radiator...i just ignore it for now, my truck....we won't even go there hahah, lets say zip ties fix anything...even if it does move at 80+mph.. (parts of the driveshaft for example), then the honda...i put an integra radiator in it, couple electric fans from who knows what are ziptied on there, and i've done the headgasket 3 times now (various reasons...) so theres about....1/2 the bolts in the engine, and half in a baggy somewhere..all the important ones are there i think... oh my fans are ran off switches i put in...i got lazy with the integra lip, so i drywall screwed it on...

i'm all about doing things cheap, if it's not at the junkyard, give me jbweld, zipties and some duct tape.

k-roy
09-23-2003, 11:24 PM
Duct Tape on the hanging exaughst, before it got fixed. The mechanic was impressed.

MattsAccord
09-24-2003, 12:54 AM
I see alot of people using duct tape on here it fixes everything. Duct tape and a hammer.

cdscowboy
09-24-2003, 12:56 AM
Duct tape and baling wire...can't go wrong.

MattsAccord
09-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by cdscowboy
Duct tape and baling wire...can't go wrong.

I knew I forgot something. Bailing wire. :lol

cdscowboy
09-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by 86 accord in C.P.
I knew I forgot something. Bailing wire. :lol

:lol I gotcha covered man...

I'm all about cheap on some things. My major problem is I'll start to get lazy and not finish a project properly. I should've clear-coated my moldings and mirrors. I broke off a bolt (the forward one of the two) while putting in my new cam, and I still have to readjust the valves. Unfortunately, those are things that duct tape, baling wire, a hammer, and zip ties can't really help...

MattsAccord
09-24-2003, 01:08 AM
Humm have you ever thought about super glue. :D

cdscowboy
09-24-2003, 01:23 AM
yeah, that should hold the new cam in.....good thinkin!!!!!

pearldrop
09-24-2003, 10:08 AM
I do everything right the first time, so the worst I have done is used 16 gauge speaker wire for the remote wire to my amp. I hate doing things twice.

danronian
09-24-2003, 10:18 AM
I take forever to do just about everything and it usually pays off in the end. For example: I took 3+ hrs painting my rear bumper trim, I spent 4 hrs cleaning the two front j/y seats, an hr cleaning the rear carpet, and 4 yrs restoring my malibu.

kicker1_solo
09-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by pearldrop
I do everything right the first time, so the worst I have done is used 16 gauge speaker wire for the remote wire to my amp. I hate doing things twice. Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with that answer too. I have done a lot of quick fixes with zip ties and stuff, but as soon as I get what I need I put it on and get rid of the zip tie.

The only thing that I can really think of that isn't "right" on my car is how I hooked up my amps. I was too lazy to run the remote wire up to my HU so I hooked it to my taillight, turn on my parking lights and my amps come on lol.

k-roy
09-24-2003, 10:37 AM
I got another one, a $3 tube of blue silocone to replace my timing belt cover, and valve cover gasket. Also used duct tape to hold up the rear bumper when I broke one of the rusty mounts.

Grant2k
09-24-2003, 01:38 PM
i have some coat hanger on my muffler right now.

AccordEpicenter
09-24-2003, 01:51 PM
my friend had 18 gauge speaker wire for his last amp as a ground... biggest ghetto rigging ive ever seen

HostileJava
09-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Yeah, Duct tape if it's loose and WD40 if it's tight!

i.c.
09-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava

word, by the way, can i put that in my sig?

89AcCOrDmike
09-24-2003, 03:35 PM
on my 94 my doorlight covers fell off, a little rubber cement, and there back on there!!

Hash_man_Se_i
09-24-2003, 04:32 PM
Nothing yet, seeing as the car only legaly became mine on Saturday. Although, maybe I will use super glue to temporarily fix the crack in the leather on my back seat.?!

Leviathant
09-25-2003, 09:24 AM
How's this for rigging?

All around my stereo and heater controls was bashed in by the previous owner... Now it consists of black duct tape. I even duct-taped the ash-tray to match. Considering duct-taping the entire dashboard to match. ...nah.

I had to put speakers in the front of the car, and the plastic holders weren't there. What's keeping the 6.5" speakers from blocking the windows? A car wash sponge. That's temporary, as it gets wet down there. Any ideas on a permanent solution? Keep in mind, this is the cheapskate thread :)

As mentioned, the heater controls were punched in. The assembly kind of floats around. So we just put screws on either side of the controls, and it now sits in there alright. I still can't figure out where the blue light bar goes. Suggestions? Photos?

The glovebox was also in sad shape. One of the hinges had been broken. You open the dashboard, it all just fell sideways and hung there. Again, a long screw helped everything out nicely, now the dash opens just like it's supposed to.

If I can't get an "H" for the center of my steering wheel, I'm getting some Sculpey and making my own steering wheel centerpiece.

Oh yeah, one more thing: We screwed in those cheapy Wal-Mart cupholders in the front and the back of the car. As a matter of fact, I really like where it's positioned on the driver's side -- right next to the steering wheel, easy access.

I should take pictures, heehee.

A20A1
09-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava

ahaha, thats so true.

jm8881
09-26-2003, 05:16 PM
My accord's hood is fixed with ductape, not sure why because I haven't seen it in person yet. :D

89cordlx
09-26-2003, 06:55 PM
I'm gonna have hangers holding my exhaust up untill I take it to get the hangers put on

lightbulblxi
09-26-2003, 08:05 PM
hey leviathant, im pretty sure thaat the blue light bar you are talking about is the one above the cd player. it is positioned to light it up kinda

johndej
09-26-2003, 08:11 PM
ha, i have the little part of the wheel well that comes out towards the front of the car (behind that little vent thing on the bumper that i no longer have) held up w/ dentel flawse (spelling?) and a tightly twisted paper clip (i like to call it a wire tie). the thing blew down when i was doing 80 and rubbed on the tire scaring the shit out of me.

deadlight
09-30-2003, 11:03 PM
I used to go out in hit shopping carts in my renault encore for fun and busted up the headlight surround/bezel/whatever the hell, and my headlight, so I wrapped a maglite with electrical tape in where the headlight sat so I wouldn't get pulled over. Week later, got pulled over for using a maglite as a headlight.

A20A1
10-01-2003, 12:42 AM
I only spend a lot of time on something if I'm working on someone elses car... If it's for my car I really don't care how it looks as long as it works.

MIK3
10-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Hm. I've re-done my bumpers for no cost. I had paint and preparatory materials from my dad, he is an electrician. Other than that...I have not had to perform any big mantainance things on my car. All is good with the DX...

goldadition
10-03-2003, 07:21 PM
duct tape- also known as west virginia chrome
i start my projects with it them finish when i have enough time

Lt99
10-03-2003, 07:51 PM
My S-10 blazer

A bolt on my leaf strings came loose the holds the a couple of leaves together my cousin put an exhaust clamp on it.

Radiator held in with zip ties after using a hammer to beat more space. Then magnaweld (that clay that comes in a roll and you mix it by pulling off what you need and you knead it to mix it together ) to fix the leaks that occured after we forgot to secure 1 side good and the fan it it.