PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

danronian
09-24-2003, 01:25 PM
I believe my clutch is not adjusted properly causing me not to be able to shift into a certain gear w/o grinding. I looked at the adjusting nut but it is all the way down on the screw. Would ajdusting the nut upward help at all?

NXRacer
09-24-2003, 01:45 PM
thats a good question. I've adjusted mine a few times, but i've never been able to understand which way is which.......

BITESIZE
09-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Yeah, which way is which?

danronian
09-25-2003, 09:13 AM
Ok how about i'll restate my ques:

Whenyou adjust their clutch b/c it was worn, which way did you adjust the nut? Toward the shifter cable, or toward the clutch. B/c my nut is already all the way to the end of the adjusting bolt toward the clutch side. I don't know if this means the clutch is almost shot, or the clutch has never been adjusted.

I could just try it if noone knows the answer, but i figured I would first ask.

NXRacer
09-25-2003, 09:22 AM
i think you have to adjust it towards the shifter cable if its slipping. I think thats what i did in mine to help the slipping.

BootMachine
09-25-2003, 10:27 AM
on my gen 2 prelude (which has a cable clutch)

clockwise to loosen the cable for total pull or counter CW to tighten the cable and push the clutch in slightly at rest.

ACCORD EX
09-25-2003, 01:03 PM
screwing it in ( clockwise ) means pushing the clutch pedal ! which means seperate the wheels from the engine which is not good when the car is in neutral ! which can cause grinding !

Mike !

danronian
09-26-2003, 03:22 AM
Awesome! This means I dont have a beat clutch afterall. Like always, thanks for the input!

This weekend I'll adjust up about 1/4 way and hopefully that will solve my gear grind. Thanks again!

johndej
09-26-2003, 07:49 PM
yeah i get kinda the same thing and i'm guessing thats the prob now. see, i can have my car in the slot for 1st or 2nd w/ my foot pushing the clutch in, but when i start to like role it will start to whine/grind kinda but it won't do that in 3rd + or neutral. i'll just try loosening it a bit (i had tightened it cause it started to slip some)

ACCORD EX
09-28-2003, 01:43 PM
BTW there should be free play in the arm ! which is 6mm !

Mike !

Justin86
09-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
BTW there should be free play in the arm ! which is 6mm !

Mike !
Not with me! When I had play in it, the clutch enganged so fast that it would stall the engine. I'm thinking I put the new clutch in wrong or something???

NXRacer
09-28-2003, 07:40 PM
if you're having problems with your new clutch it could be due to the fact that you have a heavy duty pressure plate.

Justin86
09-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by NXRacer
if you're having problems with your new clutch it could be due to the fact that you have a heavy duty pressure plate. Well I love the grip it provides but the engagment is not right. There is suppose to br about 6mm of play in the clutch arm.(stock) With the new clutch it engaged so fast it would stall everytime. Now there is no play and I adjusted the cable about 1/2" and it still engages really fast. I can manage it but it takes a while to get use to it.