PDA

View Full Version : DIY Wood Dash Kits

Mystic1
09-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Some people here where wanting wood dash kits. This is how I made one for an old truck I had a while back

1.Use cardbord to make paterns where you want the wood to be. Hold it on the dash and cut it out with a razor blade.

2.Put the paterns on 1/8 in. thick balsa wood. Like used on models. Cut the peices from the pattern. Its good to use the wood pieces to see if you will like the dash and make any other adjustments now.

3.Glue the wood to a 2nd piece of balsa, and put something heavy on them so they stay flat and there is not a thick layer of glue, just enough to hold them together. Once dry cut out the second piece.

4.Sand untill their smooth. Also round the edges to give it a factory look.

5.Use an airbrush to spray coats of wood stain and several coats of laquer for protection and shine.

7.Sand the backs smooth. Applying it with Super glue should work fine.

*Give 12 hrs. between stains then wait 24 hours and then 12 hours between laquer coats*

*If you are doing a curved surface before you do any thing soak the wood in water for a day or two then put it where you are going to want it and keep it bent to that shape untill it dries before to stain it. The water should allow you to bend it some without it breaking*

Last but not least, be creative!

NXRacer
09-24-2003, 03:21 PM
Sounds like you know what you're doing. Although most of us here probably arent a big fan of wood dash kits, you should post up pictures of your work. It would be interesting to see how it looks in a 3g.

pimp86LX
09-24-2003, 03:24 PM
wood dash ~CAN~ look amazing!!!! however most often then not they are really ghetto. My buick has fake woodgrain dash and it blows. I have a feeling of what real woodgrain would do for it. and in the future I really want to replace the plastic with a real wood finish.

or go the otherway and replace it with gunmetal/silver :D

Mystic1
09-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Like I said I did that to an old truck I had. I did a couple of things along thoes lines to get the resale up. I was able to get another $150 out of it for just doing that. Not bad for an old beat up S-10.

I wish I had taken pics of it, but its too late now.

What brought me to this site is that I am going to be given an 88 Accord lsi coupe and I am looking around for ideas on how and what can be tweeked and tricked.

My thoughts at this point is to build up a sleeper. I want to set up the inside to look as sharp as possable to throw people off. I was just looking around and found several people where trying to link to wood kits for 3gen and they where all dead links so I just thought I would let you guys know that its possable to do it on your own.

BITESIZE
09-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Wood dash kits=NOT OUR CARS!

pimp86LX
09-24-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Mystic1
Like I said I did that to an old truck I had. I did a couple of things along thoes lines to get the resale up. I was able to get another $150 out of it for just doing that. Not bad for an old beat up S-10.

I wish I had taken pics of it, but its too late now.

What brought me to this site is that I am going to be given an 88 Accord lsi coupe and I am looking around for ideas on how and what can be tweeked and tricked.

My thoughts at this point is to build up a sleeper. I want to set up the inside to look as sharp as possable to throw people off. I was just looking around and found several people where trying to link to wood kits for 3gen and they where all dead links so I just thought I would let you guys know that its possable to do it on your own.

A sleeper would be very nice. A lot of people here say how they wish they're accord was this and that. But not many go through with it. If your looking for some serious power, check out the B18 swaps, or Sean's homemade turbo kit. His kit is basically top-notch quality. the A20 block is damn near bullet proof and a great platform for a high comp ratio N/A, or low-mid boost setups.

If you go N/A, i think the highest # ive seen was 160hp. Seans kit is running ~i think~ between 8-12 PSI and its makeing bum-loads of power.

Mystic1
09-24-2003, 07:13 PM
BITESIZE: Wood dash kits=NOT OUR CARS!

Well, I'm sorry it offend you by responding to something that was already on this site. I just found this site yesterday, but i got a $100 bucks that says not every one here feels the way you do. Why don't you do a search for wood dash kits and see what you find. I was just trying to help people out. If you don't agree then there are a lot of other threads on this site that might just value your opinion. And finally, unless you plan on paying my insurance or filling my tank every now and then don't refer to my car as our car :flipa:

Thanks for the advice pimp86LX

extremly low Si
09-25-2003, 05:04 AM
whats with the fighting? wots wrong with wood? how about changing your fabric shit! with varnished wood then covered with carpeted speaker pods? phat! mines stuffed and covered with blue vinyl ova thin ply wood with a pair of 8" 300W speakers (podded, blk capet) and a pair of xplod 6.5" component speakers also poded on. I think it looks good. whats wrong with wood?

extremly low Si
09-25-2003, 05:07 AM
you cant see the wood on mine howeva. I had a e-21 BMW that i kitted out with wood paneling, i looked Phat. You could quite tastefully kit it out wood wood detailings

Mystic1
09-25-2003, 12:49 PM
E.L.SI.... ...thats exactly what I was talking about.

Originally posted by extremly low Si
[ You could quite tastefully kit it out wood wood detailings [/B]

I'm not talking about rebuilding the car from the ground up with what ever I can find at a lumber yard. Just dressing up the dash and maybe the door panles a little. I am currently driving a Caddie with an all wood dash (from the factory) I personaly think It has too much wood but at least it won't fade on me.

And also like I said, I want to make a sleeper out of the Accord i'm picking up. If you look in a 3g and see someone has installed a wood kit, what are you going to think about what is under the hood. Unlike most people here I don't want to race it, just get from point A to point B in as little time aas possable. But when you have the cops looking in wondering why you are going 90 in a 55 do you want it to look like your car belongs on the drag strip? NO! I want it to look like I take great care in my ride and would never drive fast unless I had a damn good reason. Thats why you will never find a 5 in. tach mounted on my dash with a big shift light and a triple gauge pod on the piller. That just screams I love to speed.

I don't care what others like or don't like any way. Following every one else sucks. As long as you are happy with your ride don't listen to other people that are probable jelous because they didn't think of an idea of yours first.

pimp86LX
09-25-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Mystic1
E.L.SI.... ...thats exactly what I was talking about.

I'm not talking about rebuilding the car from the ground up with what ever I can find at a lumber yard. Just dressing up the dash and maybe the door panles a little. I am currently driving a Caddie with an all wood dash (from the factory) I personaly think It has too much wood but at least it won't fade on me.

And also like I said, I want to make a sleeper out of the Accord i'm picking up. If you look in a 3g and see someone has installed a wood kit, what are you going to think about what is under the hood. Unlike most people here I don't want to race it, just get from point A to point B in as little time aas possable. But when you have the cops looking in wondering why you are going 90 in a 55 do you want it to look like your car belongs on the drag strip? NO! I want it to look like I take great care in my ride and would never drive fast unless I had a damn good reason. Thats why you will never find a 5 in. tach mounted on my dash with a big shift light and a triple gauge pod on the piller. That just screams I love to speed.

I don't care what others like or don't like any way. Following every one else sucks. As long as you are happy with your ride don't listen to other people that are probable jelous because they didn't think of an idea of yours first.

Peoples of 3geez i propose to you all.....Newbie of the week!

Vinny still gets newb of the year though ;)

Mystic1
09-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
Peoples of 3geez i propose to you all.....Newbie of the week!

I'd like to thank all of the little people that made this possable........:pimp: