PDA

View Full Version : Power steering hose

Mantis88LX
06-19-2002, 02:10 PM
dose anyone know the part numbe for the powersteering hose coming from the pump.

here is a pic, its highlighted in red

ACCORD EX
06-19-2002, 03:16 PM
are you sure it's the power steering hose ! ?

here is all i can find on power steering ! :D

MIKE

Mantis88LX
06-19-2002, 03:26 PM
yea # 43 in that pic

Lester Lugnut
06-19-2002, 08:34 PM
Power steering hose started leaking on my '87 Accord Lx about 4 yrs. ago. Called local Honda dealer.

$300.00 + tax !!!!!!!!!!! for new dealer hose. Dealer tech told me to pull it and have it rebuilt by local shop that deals with pneumatics, etc. Cost me $47 versus $300 + tax.

Get into your local yellow pages and find a shop that does this.

It helps if you have ramps to put the front of the car up on. The hose side that connects to the pump is easy. It routes around back and down below. Lots of little hold-down brackets to be removed along the way. Not too hard.

smufguy
06-19-2002, 08:38 PM
why mantis, u need one? its usually the o-ring in there that craks and leaks, but the problem is, no one has ever had a prob with the leaking. its unsual in your case lester. go and pull one out from the yard, might cost u about 10 bucks max.

vtec11
06-20-2002, 05:43 AM
mine was leaking from the entire front part. where the red is highlighted in the picture.

Anyways, i got it replaced for $260 by my mechanic for parts and labor. he also said the dealer part is over $300.

Looking at it now, i probably could have replaced it easily myself with a junkyard hose.

smufguy
06-20-2002, 07:05 AM
okay i hate when mechanics do that. its not big of a deal like taking off the bottom manifold bolts. damn... $260???? it would be like an hour and 10 bucks for the hose in the junk and u wouldhave done it all byyourself. me doing this efi conversion gets me into every nook and cranny of this car, man...... never ever gonna give my car to my mechanic cause right now, i can rip anything apart and PUT everything back together as they were.

ACCORD EX
06-20-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
yea # 43 in that pic

ok it 's sold @ www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

part # pic# Q discription color list dis. price
57423 043 1 O-RING (8.8X1.9) NO COLOR 1.20 0.89

so it's only 0.89 $

MIKE

Mantis88LX
06-20-2002, 03:52 PM
are u sure that is the whole pipe? or just some kinda ring? teh descripton says O ring?

Mantis88LX
06-20-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by vtec11
mine was leaking from the entire front part. where the red is highlighted in the picture.

yea that is were mine is leaking, its shooting out on the exasut manifold and it smokes.

so is this called the O ring? or can some one tell me the # in that pic

thanx

ACCORD EX
06-20-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
are u sure that is the whole pipe? or just some kinda ring? teh descripton says O ring?

ooooooooh ! you need the hose ! fool me ! :p

the hose is number #8 it's for 110 $ damn !

MIKE

DBMaster
06-20-2002, 05:25 PM
Mine sprung a leak about fours years ago. I got a new one at NAPA for $26! Every other place I called didn't have it in stock and wanted over $100. I have to figure it was some kind of error in NAPA's system because it was a good quality, perfectly fitting piece.

When the guy at NAPA told me the price over the phone I said, "Are you sure that's the right hose," to which he replied, "Why does everybody ask that?"

It was kind of a bitch to replace, though.

smufguy
06-20-2002, 07:15 PM
well with the whole damn manifold in the way, there is no way ur getting under there to get it unhooked.

Lester Lugnut
06-20-2002, 08:55 PM
DBMASTER(Mike) - $26 for NAPA P/S Hose! You did very well! When I called them, the hose was about $135. That's why I had mine rebuilt. Contrary to what some think, these hoses do leak after they get old about a ft. to the left of where they connect to the P/S pump.

DBMaster
06-21-2002, 09:17 AM
Lester, that's exactly where mine leaked! I pulled into the garage one day after work and could smell something burning, popped the hood and saw P/S fluid on the exhaust manifold.

Like I said, I think NAPA's system had an error in it because EVERY other place was $100+ (Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, and Pep Boys). I am just glad nobody had it in stock because NAPA was the last place I called. I find that, in general, the aftermarket parts that NAPA carries are a cut above what the other chains have.

Having the hose rebuilt is not a bad idea, either. All that goes bad is the rubber and most of what you are paying for with a new hose is the custom bent stell tubing and fittings.

Lester Lugnut
06-22-2002, 11:09 AM
DBMASTER(Mike) - I agree with you about NAPA. There after-market parts are way out in front of the trash peddlers like Auto Zone and especially Pep Boys. I'm finding that O-Reilly's is OK for some stuff, but not quite as good as NAPA.

DBMaster
06-22-2002, 08:59 PM
Lester,

I have also found a couple of non-chain automotive stores in my area that carry good name brand parts. In most cases I am finding that places like Majestic Honda (hondaautomotiveparts.com) and Manchester Honda (manhonda.com) are actually cheaper than decent aftermarket sources, but when you need something right now...