PDA

View Full Version : A reminder to everyone....

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-19-2002, 03:59 PM
Check your freakin balljoints and tierods!

(and no, I didn't have an accident or anything...heh)

I was driving through town today, sitting at a red light waiting to turn left. All of a sudden I hear this "Eeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr". I look over and see a silver Chevy Lumina (one of the older ones) that just went through the intersection I was at, with a little white cloud of smoke coming from under it. At first I thought "oh no, somebody blew a motor", but then I looked under it and I see the drivers front wheel is turned out a complete 90 degrees. The culprit -- broken tie rod would be my guess. Luckily they were in town and going about 25-30 mph at the time. At highway speeds this could have easily been deadly. So don't forget about those little guys....only takes a few minutes to check them, and if in doubt -- replace them. I always check mine everytime I change the oil while it's jacked up anyways.

;)

RCracer
06-20-2002, 02:28 AM
I have to aggree about the ball joint/track rod end checking.
I checked mine not because of any noise or rattles but because of weird cornering and one of the back ball joints was ready to let go any day. Well I changed the other rear top arm yesturday and ok there wasnt any play in it but it was loose and needed changing. This is bad considering it went through a road safety check 3 months ago and all was fine then (suposedly). I am going to change the front ball joints and the track rod ends anyway just because of the state of the back ones.:smokin:

locknload68
06-23-2002, 10:11 AM
How do you know if the tierod end is bad?

bobafett
06-23-2002, 11:10 AM
yeah it seems like something thats worth my time, but i dont have a clue how/what i am looking for!

Mantis88LX
06-24-2002, 05:28 AM
yea, how do u check these parts? were are these parts??

jigga225
06-24-2002, 08:04 AM
If you cant remember replacing your ball joints.. they're probrably bad. You can see them(ball joints) without jacking up the car.... right above the tire... it's a little pivot looking thing. If theyre old they will be cracked, and need to be replaced... oNly thing is... for the front those of you with stock a-ams.. the whole control arm has to be replaced because the ball joint isnt available separately.
i knew mine were bad b/c whenever I hit the brakes my steering wheel shook and I knew it wasn't whe brakes.

You can tell if your tie rods are bad if you can shake the front wheel without lifting the car... (thats what I did)

bobafett
06-24-2002, 09:25 AM
hey thanks a lot. i will go check that shit out now~

89cordlx
06-25-2002, 03:00 PM
HaH! I think I need new ball joints then, my car pulls to the left when I break kinda hard, might as well get the both replaced. is it easier to do myself, or have somoene else do it? and while I am at it, does anyone know if neuspeed springs are any good? there are some on ebay for like 100 somethin.

jigga225
06-26-2002, 08:02 AM
nah man just cause the car pulls when you hit brakes doesn't mean its the ball joints.
That may be somthing in your braking system.

89cordlx
06-26-2002, 07:15 PM
damit then, I had new front rotors, and brake pads replaced recently. think it could be something with the calipers then? I hope not since I am told colipers can cost alot, and if I replace one, I'd want to replace both.

jigga225
06-26-2002, 09:04 PM
could be one of the wheel cylinders.
Thats what makes the calipers close together..... one may not be functioning as well, which could cause the car to pull to the other side...........

89cordlx
06-27-2002, 08:29 AM
would it be alot to get done at a garage?

Jerren
06-27-2002, 04:15 PM
i just got my tire rods, ball joints, control arms, and cv joints replace. my god the $$$!!!!!!

jigga225
06-28-2002, 05:12 AM
how much did all that hit you for ($$)