PDA

View Full Version : what's needed for clutch replacement?

Cat3
09-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Hi,

i'm gonna be replacing my clutch pretty soon with the Exedy clutch kit. It's in the mail right now.

Before it gets here, i've been trying to get together all of the misc. parts i'm gonna need.
One question i have... is the throw out bearing also known as a release bearing?

and from the clutch How To page... (http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/clutchhowto.htm)
the list of things i'll need,

new shift rod pin
New spring washer and bolt for the release arm spring
C.V spring clips
release bearing
2.6 Liters Transmission oil
plus the clutch kit (incl. alignment tool and "throw out bearing")

is there anything else anyone can think of that i'll need that's not listed?... or anything that's one of those "while i'm under here, i might as well replace..." items.

and as far as the transmission oil goes... is there any particular kind i need, the way power steering fluid has to be the Honda kind.

also any tips or advice to help me with this repair?

thanks!
-Justin

BootMachine
09-25-2003, 12:10 PM
Pulling the axles out are a bitch!

Sounds like you have everything.....except a 12pt socket to take the clutch off.

On my A20A Prelude engine its a 12mm I think for the clutch and a 14mm for the flywheel!

Dutchboy
09-25-2003, 12:25 PM
Just take your time and make sure that you do it right the first time and get all the parts together properly......
the last clutch i did was on a 82 accord....didnt have a alignment tool so i had to use a 8 foot pry bar and my 250pound cousin reefing on it.....
i dont recomend this....

remember that if you get frustrated take a break!!!
that is the best thing to do....

axles should pop out pretty easy using a small pry bar...just drain the tranny first unless you like to shower in oil...

Have fun and good luck!!!!!!!:D

ACCORD EX
09-25-2003, 12:57 PM
yes throuw out bearing is the release bearing !

i can't think of anything else !

Mike !

Cat3
09-25-2003, 01:26 PM
thanks for the words of wisdom guys, and the confirmation on the release bearing

If anyone else has anything to contribute, please do!

I'll check back later tonight, after i get off work, to see if there's anything new.

thanks again!!