PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem on LXi

DBMaster
06-19-2002, 04:09 PM
This problem started out as infrequent, but is happening more often.

Symptoms: Normally, I will turn the key to the "On" position and wait for the two seconds until the Check Engine light turns off before starting the car. It turns over immediately this way. When it has "the problem" I actually fail to hear the "click" from inside the dash when the Check Engine light goes off and then the engine doesn't catch, almost like it's getting no fuel. If you turn the key off and back to On a couple of times until you hear the click it will start.

My educated guess is the main relay. The shop manual says that the secondary part of this component energizes the fuel pump for two seconds when the key is first turned to On. Anybody else go through this before?

Thanks!

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-19-2002, 04:37 PM
And you would be correct!

Been there, done that too :D

DBMaster
06-19-2002, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the response, Jared. Whatever happened to your plans regarding Lincoln Tech?

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-19-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
Thanks for the response, Jared. Whatever happened to your plans regarding Lincoln Tech?
Well I've been debating for a long time over Lincoln Tech and moving down to FL with my dad and going to school down there. I decided to go down with my dad so that I wouldn't "have" to work 40 hours a week (to cover rent, utilities, food, etc. like I do now) while I go to school. He's not going to charge me rent, just have to pay for groceries and a few other things, so I'll be able to catch up a little. I'm going to go to a similar school, for the auto tech program, so hopefully it will all work out ok. There's several schools down there in his area with the auto tech program, so I'm going to do some looking around when I get down there. I'll also enjoy spending some time with my dad, since I haven't lived with him since my parents got divorced 11 years ago. I think it was the best thing to do though in my current situation. I would have liked to come down there to Lincoln Tech, but I think that would just be too much at once, and I'd be setting myself up for financial disaster :(

:)

DBMaster
06-20-2002, 09:50 AM
Jared,

I don't blame you a bit. I lived at home while I went to college. Not as much fun as living at school, but I graduated with no debt and only had to work summers to earn enough to pay for my part of the bills. I did a lot of auto repair for my parents to help them out while I was in school, though.

I ordered the relay from hondaautomotive parts for $37 so I'm not complaining too much about that. Is it hard to replace? I look under the dash for it this morning and couldn't really see it. It must be buried.

Later!

dj99
06-20-2002, 11:10 AM
If I had an LXi with a busted main relay, I would try to fix it. Apparently, the temps cook it pretty good, and the solder joints work loose. You pry the cover off, and re-solder everything, and drill some air holes in the cover so it will last forever. Look for the thread about it. Save yourself some cash! ;)

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-20-2002, 01:15 PM
I took a picture of my main relay when I changed it. U see the reddish brown bottom with the white plug in it. you can get the 1- 10mm bolt with a long extension to get it out. The fuse cover lifts off it's hinge.
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/2e63af03/bc/My+Photos/MainRelay.jpg?bc6MMG9Aa9fKSyxS
here's the link to a good post Lester Lugnut posted a while back, but it never made into the how-to section. It should tho!
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?threadid=1838

Steve

DBMaster
06-20-2002, 04:15 PM
Hey, thanks Steve! That is very helpful. I almost couldn't get the bitch started after work today. It took about ten times of switching the ignition on and off to hear the "click" and have it start. I may have to go buy one at a premium price from the Honda dealer and return the one I get from Hondaautomotive parts.com because I don't think I can deal with thismuch longer. There is no one to come pick me up from work when the car won't start. :mad:

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-20-2002, 04:49 PM
Glad to help! One thing that worked for me till I replaced mine, was I thumped the dash between the pod and pillar. I you do it at the same time you turn the key to on, it jarred the bad connection enough to get the fuel pump working and not be stranded! Usually only did it 2-3 times at most on mine till I was on my way. That's if you don't get the dealer part, tommorow!

Steve

DBMaster
06-20-2002, 04:57 PM
I think I might have gotten a temporary fix. We'll have to see if it starts after sitting on the parking lot all day again. It gives me no problem after sitting at home in the garage all night.

I yanked it (found it thanks to your picture!), opened it up and sprayed it out with tuner cleaner. That stuff has worked miracles for me before. All the solder joints looked brand new, but maybe there was a little corrosion on the relay contacts, who knows.

I was reading about this part in the shop manual. It actually has two relays in it. One feeds power to the ECU and the second turns the fuel pump on for two seconds before the car starts and then feeds power to the fuel pump constantly. That would explain why the car won't start when the second relay doesn't kick on - no gas.

Anyway, there is this thin black foam stuff that is stuck onto the A/C ducting above the fuse box door. On my car every time you touch it you get this disintegrating black gooey stuff all over your hands. The foam is just a mess!

Know what I'm talking about?