PDA

View Full Version : Alignment

MrBen
09-25-2003, 03:49 PM
I've heard a lot of people talk about getting alignment done, but I just wondered how often this should be done.

The reason I ask is because I have this wobble in my steering wheel that does not go away. Front suspension is tight, balljoints fine. I've gotten my tires balanced, and that helps a little, but doesn't last too long. Tires are fairly new, top of the line model with correct air pressure. I know it is not the tires, because it did this with my last set of tires that I had.

People seem to think it is an engine or transmission mount. The wobble used to occur the most while shifting gears, say from 1st to 2nd, the steering wheel would move back and forth. Now it doesnt do that very much, and I haven't done anything to change it, so why did it go away by itself? I know that one time I was driving on a gravel road with many bumps and potholes, and ever since then there hasn't been near as much of a wobble while shifting gears.

What should I do?

BITESIZE
09-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Could be your brakes. Your calipers might be warped.

88floats
09-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Take it to a shop and have them check the alignment. you may also see if you'r rotors need to be turned. my car had a bad wobble in it and i turned the rotors and it went away.

DBMaster
09-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Generally, you would see the need for an alignment in uneven wear on your front tires, or you would notice the car pulling one way or the other.

The wobble or vibration could be dinged or bent wheels which would not be fixed by balancing the tires. I had that on my original steel wheels which is the main reason I bought the alloys. After years of potholes and bad railroad tracks the wheels just show wear.

It might be the front and rear lower motor mounts, but you would notice that vibration more at idle.

I get a little pulsation in my brake pedal, but not ebough to mess with right now. I figure the next time I change the brake pads I might change the rotors. After 209,000 miles I am sure they are worn close to their service limits.

MrBen
09-25-2003, 04:30 PM
I forgot to mention, my brakes are all new. I have new front rotors also. I remember back when I first got the car, it would wander a lot on the freeway.

The wheels are not bent because I had the tire shop look at them, and they are fine. I know what having bent wheels is like also.

I also have another question, possibly related. When I apply the brake pedal, I do not get a sharp response. I don't really know how to describe it, but I had the rear cylinders replaced, and it helped quite a bit. But I drive in other 3g's and get much better braking response. Keep in mind, everything I've had done to the brake system is all Honda parts.

danronian
09-26-2003, 03:48 AM
I get this same wobble from about 55 to 65. I replaced everything in the suspension that was trashed and have new tires and a front end alignment. I really dont know how to fix it either.

dj99
09-26-2003, 05:05 AM
About 5 or 6 years ago, I had a vibration that got worse and worse at freeway speeds. Turns out it was the left axle. It was either the CV joints going bad, or the shaft somehow got bent. I think the auto shipper may have used it as a tie-down point. It got replaced, and all is well.

Also check your wheel bearings. I replaced the left one recently.

MrBen
09-26-2003, 08:02 AM
Hmm, thanks for all the suggestions. This is bringing up a mess of things I have noticed in the front end of my car. Now that I think about it, When I turn left out of my neighborhood, every time it makes this sound like a spring is spinning. I don't know how to describe it. It's a high pitched repetitous creaking sound. I have only noticed this when coming out of my neighborhood. It is a steeper incline onto flat road. Any ideas, or could it be related?

I think I'll go to a different mechanic, because he says everything is fine with the front end, and I know very well it is not. I've been trying to get my car gone over with a fine comb to fix any problems I have. The only things I have left is this steering wheel thing and creaking thing.

danronian
09-29-2003, 03:46 AM
A noise while turning might be one of the cv joints.

k-roy
09-29-2003, 04:01 AM
It sounds like the noise is from a cv joint is your problem.
You probably should get an alignment done after that is checked. I always get an alignment done when I buy new tires. If you do some shopping around you should be able to get a decent price, I usually pay about $60.

MrBen
09-30-2003, 02:12 PM
I'm taking it into Honda on Friday to have it looked at. Hopefully this will be solved. Thanks for your help :)

Bloodlust
09-30-2003, 02:16 PM
I took my car to get aligned and you know what it costed? $400!! Because I had my car lowered (Tokico Gas Shocks and Eibach Sportline Springs) and they needed some kind of kit or some shit to do it, and supposedly it took 6 hours to do all this so there was a couple hundred bucks right there. Luckily my Dad worked at the shop at the time, but Im still paying that shit off. But if you dont get it aligned those tires are going to get eaten up real fast.

AZmike
10-02-2003, 12:04 AM
Does this describe the noise when you turn?

"A similar situation occurs on '88 Accords. You'll get a front suspension creak when turning into an inclined driveway or when you drive over a bump at an angle. Crossmember mounting may be the culprit. Loosen each bolt one at a time and go for a test ride. If the noise disappears with a particular bolt loose, remove both bolts on that side and put flat washers between the beam and the body. "

from http://www.parttrackers.com/library/1/93/97/

MrBen
10-02-2003, 04:35 PM
That sounds like it! Thanks man! :)