PDA

View Full Version : Take Some Time To Inspect

HondaBoy
09-25-2003, 04:15 PM
tuesday, i decided to replace some of my hoses. i replaced the heater hose and the one that goes up into the intake manifold. they were about to split. all others had been replaced not too long ago. anyway, while i had my air box off the carb, i thought i would take a look at my vacuum hoses. i thought i better do it cuz i had been hearing a hissing noise for some time that isnt supposed to be there. anyway, i found a hose that had a hole in it. i went to the parts place and got a 2ft line of rubber tube. i cut it to size and put it on. i was surprised to find that the little hole was the whole cause of my decreased gas mileage, and the funky ass idel. i kept thinking the timing was off or something, but no! it was this damn hose the whole time! thats some shit. well, now that its fixed, i havent wasted any gas this week, and it picked up some hp! so there, it was worth the time to inspect those lines.

zero.counter
09-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Sounds like a good find! Great work, especially in these times where gas prices are all jakked up!

johndej
09-25-2003, 05:26 PM
yeah, a little leak like that can drain out a whole lot of whatever its holding back in a short time. glad to hear you solved your problem though and it wasn't something bad.

DanG86LX
09-25-2003, 05:33 PM
..and which line # was that? ..or where's pluged to? so we all fix idle and get $$$ ;)

HondaBoy
09-25-2003, 09:23 PM
ok, on the pic of the carb under the air cleaner pic, the carb says carb. ok just so you knew what i was talking about to make it clear. anyway, see where circled number 14 is, the line that is on the right side of the carb going into the connector. it was very close to an edge, kinda like a corner. i think it was pinched or melted some how. hope that tells y'all what you needed to know. well, i drove around for a little over 3 hours tonight and im getting some bad ass gas mileage. since ive had this car, its never got this good of mileage. if it was at 3/4 full, it would usually go down a bit below the 1/2 mark. now, it didnt even go below that, its still about 1/2 full! i usually dont drive as much as i did tonight. and when its in drive, it doesnt shake the hell out of you and the dashboard anymore. now its idles much more smoothly. thsi was well worth my time. i may replace the other hoses with silicone if i can find it that small of diameter.

A20A1
09-26-2003, 12:41 PM
#14 goes to the power valve... it runs off manifold vacuum and is closed when the car idles.

When the vacuum drops the valve opens and extra fuel is added to the mix. So basicly you had no or little vacuum to the valve so the valve remained open even at idle.

HondaBoy
09-28-2003, 07:52 PM
that could be why my idle was irregular or whatever. exhaust sounded like the engine was missing. now, its smooth exhaust sound. also, more power on the freeway. i noticed that today when i was driving back to my city. i took it to 90mph and it pulled fairly quickly to that. it shur surprised me how much pull it had, kinda scary that nothing has been done to it. well, works good now. no complaining here.