PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt for a 98 Prelude

prelude3210
09-25-2003, 09:22 PM
I have an 98 SiR Prelude with 63,000 Km on it, when would be the best time to get the Timing belt changed ?. Would it be an expensive job to get done and how much would it cost to get the Timing Belt ?.

How much Bhp and Torque would you expect to get from a Reactive Stainless Steel two Piece Manifold ?. Also would it be worth getting a Cat By-Pass Pipe for my Car. I have a Stainless Steel Header from Reactive and also a full Stainless Steel Ziegan5 exhaust one off from the Cat back, so the only thing remaining that is origional to the Exhaust would be the CAT. What difference would it make in noise and Performance wise to having the CAT removed and replaced with the Cat By-Pass Pipe ?. Would the Cat by-Pass Pipe by made of the same steel as the origional exhaust and would the By-Pass Pipe be tapped to accomodate the Cat Sensor ?. :super:

Goldfinger89
09-26-2003, 04:31 AM
Your owners manual will tell you when you need to change the timing belt.

I had a 97 prelude and if I remember correctly the belt was due to be changed at 105000 miles. I believe that would be 168000 kilometers for you. Double check your manual though.

danronian
09-26-2003, 05:07 AM
It all depends on what type of bypass pipe you get. But if you don't need emissions you could just take the cat out and install a straight pipe instead of bypassing it. I am not sure about the sensor though, i know on some american cars they sell a sender to plug into the sensor that makes sure nothing gets screwed up from using no cat. A high flow cat usually does make about a 20hp diff on tests I've seen done on v8's, I am not sure about a super efficient 4 though, it might actually make more of a diff, that is if you can get the sensor deal figured out.