PDA

View Full Version : Steering pulling to the Right

prelude3210
09-25-2003, 09:27 PM
I have a 98 Jap Sir Prelude, the steering seems to be pulling to the right. As per usual it is ok on a good straight road, but on any other road you can feel and when driving and lifting the hand from the wheel the car will pull to the right quickly. I have rotated the tyres with the alloys from the back to the front and vise versa. The pull is still there, I got the wheels Balanced and re aligned, So after reading that, any ideas ???.... :burn:

88LX-iSedan
09-25-2003, 10:09 PM
Tire Pressure? ... :banghead:

prelude3210
09-25-2003, 10:20 PM
I check the tyre pressure, it is OK, I am wondering if I slightly bent something be going over a bump or pot hole in the road ?. If this is the case any suggestions to what te most likely could be bent ?.:super:

danronian
09-26-2003, 03:45 AM
Most roads are crowned at the middle and angle towards the sides. My car pulls to the right on any road for that reason alone, if your car doesnt pull something would be up. But then again I can't speak for where you live, but if you get rain and the roads dont flood, they probably are crowned enough to make it seem like your car pulls. The only way to really be sure is to go to a concrete parking lot and try it out, that or a really flat highway.

prelude3210
09-26-2003, 04:16 AM
I am living in Dublin in Ireland and not living in the US, aint that the pits. I have been to the States and loved driving over there, alot of the roads are in perfect condition and that makes driving that bit more fun.

What could have happened was I was taking a hard left turn at the light so I was not going fast, maybe no more then 10 mph, so with the wheel turned the level of the road changed from concrete to the black stuff. So the change in level was upwards from concrete to the black stuff, I am wondering if I bent something slightly, in that enough to cause this pull ?. I would have to say it does pull on straight motorways and on known level concrete roads and carparks, so I think I do have a problem there. Maybe a joint out of place, it is a pain in the ass. Looks like I will have to take it to a Mechanic :crying:

danronian
09-26-2003, 05:03 AM
If you can, just put it up in the air (on a jack/and or jackstands) and just look to see if anything is visibly bent. It sounds like that could be it. If this is the case you should get it fixed soon or the tires will wear really fast.

DBMaster
09-26-2003, 08:31 AM
Sometimes there can be manufacturing defects in tires that cause a slight pull toward the side with the wayward tire. It is less common in top brands like Michelin, Goodyear, etc., but I have had the problem in the past with some "house brand" tires.

IT didn't really cause any problems except for the annoying pull.

DBMaster
09-26-2003, 08:33 AM
I forgot to mention. The way to see if this is the case is to swap your front tires side to side. If the pull lessens, goes away, or moves to the other side you know it's a defective tire.

shepherd79
09-26-2003, 08:44 AM
the reason your car pulls to the right is because your tow is out of alignment. take your car for suspension alignment.

DBMaster
09-26-2003, 12:00 PM
the reason your car pulls to the right is because your tow is out of alignment. take your car for suspension alignment.

Well, I was only suggesting the tires because in the original post he said he had gotten an alignment already.

I should have added that more than once I had to drive right back into the place that did my alignment because they didn't get it right. I have not had that happen in years, though, with the no-brainer equipment that they have now.

Still, the place that did your alignment should re-check it for free if you think it's off. That just means you'll have to sit arond and wait! :)

88fasthatch
09-26-2003, 01:27 PM
Is it during acceleration our just during cruising down the road? if it while accel it may be torqe steer.

prelude3210
09-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. The pull on the Steering happens when I an driving in a straight line at constant speed. I have rotated the tyres, front to the back and back to the front. The Pull is still there. I am running on Dunlop 6000 at the moment. When the front wear down in order for me to change them, I will change brand names and see if another Make will be any better. I am going to have to get it checked out first, I do have the Tyre pressure up to 30 Lbs of pressure.

Some people have said that it could be the Alignment that could be at fault, but in all honesty I have gone back in some cases twice within one week to get it double checked to make sure that they are not using stupid faulty Human Equipment, Ya'll know what I mean ?.