PDA

View Full Version : A20A1 Swap

troutz15
09-27-2003, 08:59 AM
i have a 89 Accord LX with a A20A1 carbed engine. What can i swap with that? Its displacement is 1955cc. If i cant get a decent engine, can i swap the bottom end or head for a Prelude or anything with more power?

Vinny
09-27-2003, 09:01 AM
Before you ask anything, read here! (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=413)

Chadroper
10-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Isnt the Accord really an american car. I thought the 3rd generation accords were built in Ohio and I thought the engine and transmission is also built in the US. So a 250hp 3rd generation accord would really be an american muscle car.

SIBILANTx
11-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Will A Prelude A20a3 Single Cam 12 Valve Head Bolt Right Up To My A20a1 Block??????????????????????/

'A20A3'
11-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Yes it will. However if you want EFI you'll have to convert. Otherwise the A20A3 head is the exact same except there is a slight difference in the valves which in turn gives you a slightly higher compression ratio. Don't expect to see any performace gains from just swapping the head. If you want power get a B16 manifold from openloop motorsports, and port match it to the head, and get the head ported and polished.

Chad, all 3G's made in the US have their VIN starting with 1HG, 3G's made in Japan have their VIN starting with JHM.

carotman
11-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Isnt the Accord really an american car. I thought the 3rd generation accords were built in Ohio and I thought the engine and transmission is also built in the US. So a 250hp 3rd generation accord would really be an american muscle car.

Some cars were built in Marysville while others were built at Sayama (Japan)

If your serial number begings with 1HG it was built in the US.

The Accords built in Japan had JHM as their first digits.

PhydeauX
11-10-2004, 09:25 AM
It's the pistons not the valves that give the higher compression in the A20A3. The heads are the same the only diference you'll notice is the last cam bearing cap has an extra ear on it to attach the efi distributor, but a carb distributor will bolt right up to it, there is no performance gain to be had with a head swap.

andy

Ichiban
01-05-2005, 02:52 PM
so would a piston swap yield more power? i've noticed the A20A1's are usually advertised at around 100 hp while the A3's are around 135 ish I believe....

If i were to swap an A-series into my 2gen should I get the A3 and carb it?
I currently have the A18 twin carb from the prelude and it is advertised at 1hp more than a stock A20A1.

Elijah
01-05-2005, 03:18 PM
The first accord to be built in the US is 89 SE-I. I think they where the only ones built in the us and the 3rd gen or any honda will never be a american car

sporkHSP
01-05-2005, 03:20 PM
wow, in all my searching i never knew about the b18a carbs... is there any possible way to make that emissions frendly...?

88accordhb
01-05-2005, 03:21 PM
who the heck cares? all these engines are poopers dude, all uber slow, why would you swap for a weeee bit more power. as long as the car runs you should be happy. that's just my opinion tho.

and if i wanted more power i would do a bseries or you can swap efi in your a18, i believe the a20a3 efi system should work for your a18 since they're the same series. then after you can turbo. with just the efi swap you should gain a couple right there.

sporkHSP
01-05-2005, 03:38 PM
yeah, i would efi swap, but then ill be looking for a b20, thats just the kind of person I am.

HondaBoy
01-05-2005, 03:45 PM
really? i thought the 88 coupe was one of the 1st models to be built in the US exclusively, or so what i read on a honda site. i think the 3gee's build in japan were better made, that's what i'm thinking because i see a bunch of american made 3gee's in the junk yard. very few japanese built ones. i think i said that before. as for the swapping bottem ends or heads, not really, usually requires machine work if you do it.

Ichiban
01-05-2005, 07:52 PM
just remember these are 81 and 83 model cars....if i wanted hp without a challenge i'd slap a blower on my V8 pickup...the A series engines seem to be the perfect platform for tinkering and extensive research development and learning.

besides, with these engines i have the option of running a carb for now (i'd like to stay away from efi for awhile), or using EFI with a few additions and minor component swaps.

HondaBoy
01-05-2005, 08:31 PM
personally, i kinda do like having a carbed engine. how about putting a weber carb on your accords? that would be cool.

Ichiban
01-05-2005, 09:25 PM
when i learn more about weber's i might...i didn't know ppl put them on hondas until this weekend, shows how much i'm learning from this website.
you guys are pretty cool, i know i'm a "newbie" and prob post where i shouldn't but i have fabricating and welding experience on lots of stuff....plus tons of general mechanical knowledge....i'd be glad to help with any questions you guys have, just pm me.

phrenology
01-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Will A Prelude A20a3 Single Cam 12 Valve Head Bolt Right Up To My A20a1 Block??????????????????????/

If your going to head swap try an A18/BT2 head for higher comp ratio. I haven't tried it but people say it works.

phrenology
01-07-2005, 11:58 PM
personally, i kinda do like having a carbed engine. how about putting a weber carb on your accords? that would be cool.

If you're gonna go Weber go DCOE, forget DGVs. Ask Phydeaux. For a quicker fix we got my old 84 to run on a 2bbl Holley after tossing the whole lot of Honda carb/controller/emissions gear. But putting a Holley carb on a Honda is almost sacreligious. If you're old skool than carbs rule!