PDA

View Full Version : Axle won't go in tranny???

Justin86
09-27-2003, 11:23 AM
This is really pissing me off. I put in a new clutch last night an d went for a drive. Evertime I stopped I noticed I was leaving a fat puddle of oil.:angry: This morning I got under the car and the drivers side axle is about 1/8" out of the tranny. It isn't much but it is just enough to were it leaks oil. I have tried pushing, pulling, twisting, and hitting the axle trying to get it back in but nothing. I'm about to take it completely out and try to put it back in. I'm running out of options. :help:

MattsAccord
09-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Join the club of people that are having tranny problems. Call me if you want a let me know how things are going.

89queludesi
09-27-2003, 04:02 PM
try removing the axle nut again and swinging the control arm out of the way then tap the end of the axle with a rubber mallet itll pop right in. there is a steel o ring that has to pop into place to seal the oil

shepherd79
09-27-2003, 04:04 PM
you have to play with it, but it will go in after a while.

Justin86
09-27-2003, 04:31 PM
Well I took it out and the out put shaft seal is bad and that is one of the big reasons why it was leaking but still I'm not sure on why it will not go it. It won't be until monday when the seal comes in. They had the passenger side seal in stock but not the driver side. :mad:

Justin86
09-28-2003, 10:17 AM
Well I went down to order the seal at AutoZone and they said that their other store at the north of town had the drivers side in stock. They are such a bunch of idiots. So I put the new one in and no problems. It still looks like the axle isn't in all the way but I'm not having any problems with it so I guess it is suppose to be that way.

shepherd79
09-28-2003, 10:49 AM
what is the space between axle and trans?
it should be less than 1/2 inch. it will be almost flash with trans.

MrBen
09-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Hope you didn't fuck up your tranny. This happened to my mom when she had her axle replaced at Clutchmasters. Wound up frying her transmission.

ACCORD EX
09-28-2003, 01:42 PM
check teh clip at the end of the axle is in the right place or not and so the oil seal in the tranny ain't damaged !

MIke!

Justin86
09-28-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
what is the space between axle and trans?
it should be less than 1/2 inch. it will be almost flash with trans.
The gap is about a 1/8" but it is still leaking. It acts like it went in all the way but when you get under the car you can still see the gap.

[Something like this.]

(tranny)
======/ (axle)
+++++// /===== \
+++++] / ======\==============/
+++++]========================/
+++++]======================= /
+++++] \ ======/============ /
+++++\\ \=====/
======\
^ ^
I I
I I
(gap)

Justin86
09-28-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
check teh clip at the end of the axle is in the right place or not and so the oil seal in the tranny ain't damaged !

MIke!

Well ignore my pic it will not turn out right? I put in a new seal but which way is the clip suppose to go. The repair manual never said anything about it going in a certain way. But there is about a 1/4" gap in the clip, but if that is suppose to go it facing the top or bottom I have no clue. :angry:

Techno
09-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Clip on Axle is supposed to have a gap. When you slide the axle into the tranny the clip gets compressed and that gap in the metal ring allows that. That ring re-expands when it reaches the notch inside the spline in the transaxle. That is what holds it in place. The shaft should sink in all the way. The axle is what makes the seal against the ring and holds the ring in place as well.
Try using a block of wood (2x4 should do) and a large hammer. Try to jack the car up so that you can get a straight on shot at the tranny with the axle and put the block of wood on the end of the shaft. After lining up the shaft with the spline in the tranny, hit the wood with the hammer in short blows. Whatever you do...don't hit the axle directly with the hammer, you will end up damaging the threads. You do not want to damage the trans either so don't hit the wood very hard. If you have to, wiggle the shaft a little bit as you hit it.

Techno

Justin86
09-28-2003, 03:16 PM
I will give it another try. I tried to do the same last night with no luck but what the hell it only take me 90mins to take apart the driver side supension to lossen up the axle. :pissed:

Justin86
09-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Techno
Clip on Axle is supposed to have a gap. When you slide the axle into the tranny the clip gets compressed and that gap in the metal ring allows that. That ring re-expands when it reaches the notch inside the spline in the transaxle. That is what holds it in place. The shaft should sink in all the way. The axle is what makes the seal against the ring and holds the ring in place as well.
Try using a block of wood (2x4 should do) and a large hammer. Try to jack the car up so that you can get a straight on shot at the tranny with the axle and put the block of wood on the end of the shaft. After lining up the shaft with the spline in the tranny, hit the wood with the hammer in short blows. Whatever you do...don't hit the axle directly with the hammer, you will end up damaging the threads. You do not want to damage the trans either so don't hit the wood very hard. If you have to, wiggle the shaft a little bit as you hit it.

Techno

Well I gave it a try and still nothing. I was reading the manual and it said to replace the C-clip evertime you remove the axle. :confused: Well that is about my last hope but when I look at the C-clip and it look ok. I'm going to get a new one tomorrow after school and see if that helps. My dad was thinking that there might be something blocking the axle from going all the way inside, but there in so way of seeing unless I drop the tranny again.

Justin86
10-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Ok I figured it out. The axle is going in all the way, but with where the seal was put, it made it look like it wasen't in. The manual does a real shitty job of telling you how to put in the seal. I pushed the seal in to far the tranny and it was not butting up to the axle which it should (creating the look that the axle is not in all the way). If I had a pic it would be a lot easier to describe.

NXRacer
10-01-2003, 10:20 AM
another way of getting the axle to go in the tranny is to thread the main nut on the axle till its flush with the axle then hit it with a heavy flat hammer. This wont hurt the threads or mushroom out the end of the axle and you'll get a better hit on the axle so it'll pop in.\

so hows that clutch working for ya justin?

BootMachine
10-01-2003, 10:52 AM
pull it out again...lightly sand AND CLEAN the axle piece that goes into the tranni....remove the burrs.....clean the tranni port and play with it!

Justin86
10-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Hey I allready got it it. Did you read my thread. The clutch is working great. The engagment point doesn't seem right but that is just about it. Also I got my Koni's today and put them in. They really help with my stiff ass coilovers.