PDA

View Full Version : Cam Installation

Versanick
06-19-2002, 09:16 PM
I've been looking into purchasing a racier cam for my 86 accord lx-i, but I don't know what else I'll need. I've priced around, many for $100 dollars, including places that will grind my cam... but someone told me I need new springs and lifters... what else will I need to purchase to make a racing cam (not a wild one, i just say racing b/c its more wild than stock), work with my accord... I have so many mechanical friends and they don't know about this honda business... they're all into big block american v8's and such... they still aren't used to an OVERHEAD cam even! lol... but they're willing to help... I just need to know what else I'd have to buy... the installation will look like fun...

I've taken off the valve cover thing and seen the cam (its sexy)... and I'm wishing (although I doubt its possible) that I could just simply slap a different cam in there and keep everything else the same (I love being ignorant... too bad I have to learn now!)... thanks for reading.

YK86
06-19-2002, 10:09 PM
The only thing you may want is the cam seal and a valve cover gasket. You don't need new springs or anything unless they are really worn.

jteuton
06-20-2002, 08:30 AM
i doubt you'll be able to find new lifters for it since the car doesn't have them. I didn't buy any new parts. Even reused the gaskets and no leaks...Can't really say i noticed a shocker in the power dept thought...my 2 cents

A20A1
06-20-2002, 07:17 PM
Remove Negative battery cable
Remove valve cover
Remove spark plugs & wires
Remove distributor

Loosen the Cam Gear bolt
Allign #1 cyl to TDC
Zip tie the timing bet to the Cam gear
Remove rocker arm assebly
begin to tilt camshaft, so you can slide the cam gear off... be careful not to lose any pieces... Hold the cam gear up to maintain belt tension so the bottom half of the timing belt wont slip off.
remove cam seal
remove camshaft

Install new camshaft
install cam seal
install cam gear
install cam gear bolt
install rocker assembly
install distributor
cut off zip ties

With the new camshaft installed all the way... turn the crank a few times to check for binding.
Now begin to adjust the valve gapping... the cam card will show you the proper gaps.

reinstall valve cover and ground wire.
reinstall sparkplugs and wires
reconnect negative battery cable.
check oil level.
start engine.
have fun. :D

1988starter
06-20-2002, 09:10 PM
Hey I can do that no actually I had already planned to.

A20A1
06-21-2002, 12:27 PM
... reposted info below.

rocky2
06-22-2002, 07:05 AM
Do you want more power on bottom end or top end?
Most want power at bottom end 0-60.
You could try to advance (stock)cam a few degress

POS carb
06-22-2002, 08:09 AM
lol@ the idiots trying to sell you lifters for your OHC car! Ask them if they also stock chome-molly pushrods for us too :lol :flipa:

Versanick
06-25-2002, 10:04 PM
thanks for all the info, it's extremely helpful

I was looking for a pretty wild cam, to help power anywhere... I was told the cam can make a huge difference with an improved fuel system, or very little at all depending on the car... my friend told me some kids put in just cams for the 'put put' sound that everyone thinks is cool, but they don't have a clue what they're doing, and sometimes the just beat the hell out of their cars and the hardly move faster... but he says that some cars really improve power w/a wilder cam because it allows the fuel intake to be opened longer every cycle, changing the idle, and changing sometimes how much throttle you need to give it, just to achieve the same RPMs as with a normal cam..

thanks a million, especially A20A1, that makes it real easy.

take care.

A20A1
10-31-2002, 08:37 PM
here is the pic that club photo didn't let me share.

In the left pic it shows the:
Reground cam
Valve clearance gapping tool
Socket set (at least 10mm thru 19mm)
Zip ties (the good thick plastic kind)

You'll also need a flat head screw driver
and a 12mm wrench.

In the right pic it shows the:
Valve cover removed
Distributor removed
Cam Gear bolt loosened
Cam gear zip tied
spark plugs and wires removed

#1 Cylinder should be @ TDC before you zip tie but after you loosen the cam gear bolt.

89AccordNate
10-31-2002, 11:52 PM
FUCXK YOU MAN

GreenMachine
10-31-2002, 11:56 PM
:huh: uh Okay !:huh: :stupid:

Cool pics though A20A1

A20A1
11-01-2002, 12:38 AM
Whats up man?

socal3rdgen
11-01-2002, 09:41 AM
thanks for the how 2

smufguy
11-01-2002, 11:54 AM
hahaha, thats nate, just out of the blue.:D

damn nate, ur alive. Where the hell have u been?