PDA

View Full Version : Amps

bill
09-28-2003, 06:00 PM
In an amp, what is RMS Power?:barf: :smokin:

89AcCOrDmike
09-28-2003, 06:23 PM
rms power is the actual constant power output the amp is capable of, don't get this confused with peak power, which is the maximum power output an amp can have. RMS wattage is usually about 1/4-1/3 the maximum power output of an amp. I'm almost positive thats a good definition, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

zero.counter
09-28-2003, 06:47 PM
ROOT
MEAN
SQUARED

Let's limit our discussion to RMS (continuous) power, because whether we're talking about power handling or power rating, the RMS number is always more significant than the peak number.

You should pick an amplifier whose power rating is in the upper end of your speaker's power range. For example, if a speaker is rated to handle up to 35 watts of RMS power, it will perform closer to optimum as your power source approaches delivery of 35 watts. It's better to overpower a speaker than to underpower it — the distortion caused when you push a low-powered amp to its limit is much more likely to harm a speaker than too much power.

Hash_man_Se_i
09-28-2003, 08:50 PM
Ya, many amps will claim to be like 1000watts, but when you really look at the specs, they are like 500 watts RMS, but thats at 2ohms too. And if your subs have to be run at 4ohms, which lots have to be, you will get like 250 watts RMS.

And also, digital amps are usually easier on the charging system of the car, and wont kill the stock alternator very easily... but most non- digital amps put out more power.

PogiLXI
10-01-2003, 07:50 PM
they are all right. but higer ohms arnt bad, either. there a give and take on speekers. Give more watts with lower ohms, the SQ usualy goes down, Give lesser watts with more ohms, the SQ goes up, I think thats how it goes.

POS carb
10-02-2003, 11:13 AM
rms = root mean square = continuous power.
look at these specs when buying speakers/amps. Max power is generally RMSx2
Most car head units are rated in max power