PDA

View Full Version : [color=red] READ: Everybody with exhaust or wanting [/color]

Justin86
09-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Some of you have probably all ready figure this out but but for the rest of us here is some info on exhaust set ups. DON'T my exhaust tips just because of looks. The design of the tip can make a huge difference. If you want a tip that will make a strong and deeper tone get one that is "rolled out". These tend not to look the best but will sound the best especialy with a small rounded lip. The tips that look best in my opinion are ones the are rolled in. They made my Flowmaster sound like a FART CAN.:crying:

(rolled in)
\=========
\\
\===========:
:::::::::
:::::::::
/===========:
//
/========

(rolled out)
/===========\
[ ::::::::::

[ ::::::::::
\===========/

Well shit! My little pic shouldn't look like that. If I could figure out how to get pics off of Paint then I could give you all something good.
Oh yea forgot to mention. The smaller the tip the less noticeable the sound will be. I had a 3.5" rolled in tip and it sounded like a 4.5" fart can. With a smaller rolled in tip and restricted muffler there will be little change. That should answer it for you 1988Starter.

1988starter
09-28-2003, 07:40 PM
I don't have any fart can problems on my car
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/304000-304999/304085_22_full.jpg

PhydeauX
09-29-2003, 05:19 AM
Enclose them in code tags.

andy

Justin86
09-29-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by PhydeauX
Enclose them in code tags.

andy
How to you do that. I'm not too computer oriented.

MattsAccord
09-29-2003, 10:12 AM
justin pm

PhydeauX
09-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Repace the {} with []

{code}
stuff you don't want to be formated
{/code}

Justin86
09-29-2003, 03:28 PM
Well yea I understand posting internet pics, but I want to know how to copy and paste pics of my computer on to the site. I don't have a scanner or digi camera so it is hard for me to get pics online. (It takes me 1 min to draw it in paint but days to figure out how to show everybody else)

Art 1
10-02-2003, 05:28 PM
I have a friend who's stepdad does custom exhaust. What would getting an exhaust do, and if I want to get one just for the sound, all I have to get is the tip, yeah? Oh, and where would I get one of those?

wprocomp
10-02-2003, 06:44 PM
umm..well the whole point of getting and exhaust is for better flow..the better the exhaust gases flow the more the hp you get...no you can just put a tip on and make your car sound different...you would need a larger muffler...either that or get a screwdriver and poke lots of speedholes in it:D

Justin86
10-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by wprocomp
umm..well the whole point of getting and exhaust is for better flow..the better the exhaust gases flow the more the hp you get...no you can just put a tip on and make your car sound different...you would need a larger muffler...either that or get a screwdriver and poke lots of speedholes in it:D
On a stock exhaust, a tip won't make a big difference. But with bigger pipe and a better flowing muffler it will make a good difference in the tone.

deadlight
10-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by wprocomp

haha, speedholes, nice simpsons reference there man, just had to throw that in, but yeah, if your state doesn't have emissions, take it to someone that does exhaust, tell them you want like a 2.25 inch pipe straight out to the back without a cat, and get a high flow muffler, they should put it on for you.

MarioBurke
10-03-2003, 12:15 AM
its true it true. I also have a exhaust with a rolled in tip and I fucking hate it. well it sounds good till you hit high RPMs. then the fart kicks in and its time to shift. and since I had my cat replaced with a high flow it gets even louder. if I wasnt so busy working on other peoples cars I would have cu tthat shit off a long time ago.

Justin86
10-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Yea on myine it kicked it about 2200 and didn't stop until 3500. That is where I do most of my driving and it drove me crazy. Still with the flowmaster it has a little rattle to it but is a lot better. I might just go with a single glass pack where the cat used to be and have a tip at the end, and sell my flowmaster.

racerx
10-03-2003, 10:20 AM
yeah, this is why the pacesetter is a GOOD muffler, contrary to popular belief...
It makes a deep, throaty sound, and the car actually sounds like it has balls at all rpms, not some cheesy fart-can... got rice?

Jims 86LXI HB
10-03-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by racerx
yeah, this is why the pacesetter is a GOOD muffler, contrary to popular belief...
It makes a deep, throaty sound, and the car actually sounds like it has balls at all rpms, not some cheesy fart-can... got rice?

Sound may be good, but it doesn't make power. You should want both, least I'd hope you would. Getting more power is the other reason people cut off the stock pacesetter muffler and install something like the Dynomax super turbo.

Justin86
10-04-2003, 09:19 AM
Yea very true. I'm pretty happy with my Flowmaster but it still has a rattle to it but it is a head turner.:D

sporkHSP
10-08-2003, 07:09 AM
So, does anyone actually know of a nice flowing AND good sounding (preferably at all rpms) muffler? If so, please share... :D

neoblue89lxi
10-08-2003, 07:28 AM
I'll tell you in less than a week. Im having my whole system replaced from where the flex pipe is, which was rotted out so i got a new one. The system is being upgraded to 2.25 mendrel bent pipes with a new high flow magnaflow cat and muffler. I hope it will sound good. The only part of the exhaust not going to be new is the header or manifold. Ive heard you dont gain much with a header so i think spending 350 for 5 hp is a waste.

SteveDX89
10-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Get 2.25" mandrel bent pipe with a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler. I've got that on my car with a 3.5" rolled tip. Sounds f*ckin sweet and I noticed some improvement in power, especially on the highway.

88accordlxcarb
10-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by SteveDX89
Get 2.25" mandrel bent pipe with a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler. I've got that on my car with a 3.5" rolled tip. Sounds f*ckin sweet and I noticed some improvement in power, especially on the highway.

How is your inner noise? How much more do you have to turn up the music to be able to hear it the same way as before?

SteveDX89
10-08-2003, 03:36 PM
I don't turn the music up any higher than before but I can hear the exhaust. It's not so loud that it'll drown out your music but you will hear it. I don't mind cause it sounds so awesome, sometimes I turn the radio off just to listen to it. It's a nice deep tone. Deep enough to set off car alarms so be careful.

bobafett
10-08-2003, 07:45 PM
yeap thats all true. ambers 2.5 with high flow cat is loud but music can take over easily if it needs to.

if u drive a modded car, and dont like to just roll the windows down and listen just hand me your keys cause u dont deserve to be driving! :D

i love exhaust noise! :D

89LXIGUY
10-09-2003, 07:26 AM
exhaust is awesome!! I have a gutted cat and 2.25 all the way to the welded on 4" chrome tip.:super: The only thing doing ne muffling is the resanator. It sounds freakin cool.:D

Justin86
10-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Yea glass packs sound sweet. One thing that help to make the exhaust deeper is the muffler location. Yes it is true, the closser the muffler is too the header the deeper it will sound. If you have noticed that a lot of the V8 guys have there mufflers closser to the engine. I'm thinking about putting my flowmaster where my cat used to be if it will fit.