PDA

View Full Version : Skipping?

it's paid for
09-29-2003, 04:18 AM
My smoke-billowing Accord is now running rougher than it was about 1000 miles ago . . . engine is running rougher, skipping . . .

. . . I'm guessing if I remove & clean the plugs this will help . . . any other suggestions?

Thanks,

IPF

erics86dx
09-29-2003, 08:26 AM
No offernse but thats one of the funniest questions ive ever heard, duh the sparkplug change would help, along with a oil change, air filter change, spark plug wire change, distributer change, rotor change, replace fuses, check tranny fluid, get a fluch and fill for your radiator, replace thermostat, all kinds of stuff man, thats pretty much a no brainer, what are you sittin here and thinkin about it for, get your ass out there and do it

erics86dx
09-29-2003, 08:28 AM
dont clean the plugs replace them, ya cheap bastard :D

MrBen
09-29-2003, 08:30 AM
Dude don't be such an asshole. He was just asking a question.

pimp86LX
09-29-2003, 09:29 AM
cmon let the newbies razz eachother ;) sit back get a beer and watch the fun unfold. :D

it's paid for
09-29-2003, 10:06 AM
history -->

a month ago my car ran really smooth . . . now, it's running fairly rough . . . it's always blown smoke - and still does, but now it's running rough only after adding about 1000 miles . . . I think the plugs are fouled with oil/crap and if I clean them it might run better - but I'm just guessing and was hoping for help from the "experts" . . .

. . . seems logical to me - & I'm guessing that the guy that sold the car to me had the same problems I'm having before he sold it . . . I think he cleaned the plugs before he sold it to me and that helped it run better . . .

. . . is that possible?

. . . and I'm at work and didn't drive it today, so I can't try cleaning the plugs until I get home tonight to see if it helps . . .

iamvandemon
09-29-2003, 10:24 AM
if your engine is blowing smoke and the plugs are fouled with oil, it is pretty much a waste of your time and money to replace all that stuff that "erics86dx" told you to. the problem could be a crack in the head or cylinder, faulty gasket, bad rings, and even a hole in a piston.

if ALL the plugs are oil fouled then most likely you have severely worn rings and or cylinders. if only ONE OR A FEW are fouled, then it is possibly one of the other things I mentioned.

unless you plan to re-build or replace the engine don’t put any money into the car. just keep your oil and anti-freeze full and clean the plugs every now and then.

if you are considering rebuilding or replacing the engine, only do so if the uni-body is free of major rust and the suspension and bearings are in reasonable condition etc. if your car has major rust in wheel wells/floor boards etc, save your extra pennies and just run the car till it dies and then buy a better one.

Van

NXRacer
09-29-2003, 10:38 AM
one question that should be asked that everybody failed to ask: what color is the smoke?

it's paid for
09-29-2003, 11:33 AM
what color is the smoke? I don't know - it's hard to tell looking at it from the rear-view. It's a large cloud when you take off from a stop - nasty!

I've pretty much ditched the idea of a head rebuild - someone told me if I did that it'd probably need rings too and I'm not going that route nor am I going to put in an engine from the salvage yard.

The route I'm going to take is probably this:

. . . just keep your oil and anti-freeze full and clean the plugs every now and then.

I'm pretty sure the head gasket needs replacement as there is lots of oil over the engine area. I think there's a puddle of radiator fluid near the top of the engine on the passenger side in a little crevice and it could be possible my problem is mainly due to a faulty head gasket.

I guess I could replace that pretty easily this weekend - right? What harm could this do to replace the head gasket - just remove the head when it's cold, right?

Thanks VERY much,

IPF

it's paid for
09-29-2003, 04:03 PM
I just checked the plugs - no major oily gum-up . . . they weren't difficult to remove at all & I'm sure they weren't torqued up enough . . . now they are . . . ;)

. . . anyway . . .

. . . when I just started it up to see if it still worked there was like no smoke coming out the back end . . . so, we can now assume it just smokes when it's hot, right?

. . . so . . . does this mean it could be just a bad head gasket?

(please say yes - please!)

. . . I'm really sorta bummed because a friend of mine told me it wasn't worth pulling the head and doing just a valve job, that it will most certainly need boring out and new pistons & blah, blah, blah . . . I think he's wrong . . . I hope he's wrong . . . he's certainly no Honda expert (for some reason, he doesn't like Hondas - what a looser, eh?) . . .

Thanks,

IPF

pimp86LX
09-29-2003, 04:07 PM
well if your going to get right onto the engine, why not just go with an OEM rebuilt? it will make your engine like new! best bang for the buck in my books.

it's paid for
09-29-2003, 04:23 PM
well if your going to get right onto the engine, why not just go with an OEM rebuilt? it will make your engine like new! best bang for the buck in my books. Great suggestion - earlier I somewhat indicated I only have about $400 right now, so . . .

. . . I did look into this option and Advanced Auto Parts wanted $1300 for their rebuilt engine . . . dang! . . . it's hard to justify putting that engine in a 20 year old car that cost me $500 and has 215K on it . . .

. . . the body and interior of this car are in great shape - no rust and really nice . . . anyone wanna see pictures?

al010101
09-29-2003, 11:20 PM
i'd say just rebuild the engine in it if you want to go that far....or just replace the plugs and say fuck it for now, you could do the junkyard scene for 400$, but trust me, you'd be better off rebuilding what you have, i worked at a junkyard for a year and saw all thier little BS tricks.....sad really, pay 75$ for a whole car, sell the engine for 400$, the ppl come back sayin it smokes, or plain out doesn't run, they replace it with another one, but meanwhile you have to yet again remove the one you got from them, take it back, get the next one, and who knows if it'll be any better.....rebuild yours, or new oem, but thats a waste of cash, i say do it yourself if you have the know how, it's the only way i trust my cars, is if i know i did the work.....never trust anyone elses half ass fix's, only your own!

iamvandemon
09-30-2003, 04:26 AM
IPF,

do you have a digi camera? if so it would make it a lot easier for me to help you decide the best rout to go.

your descriptions are a little confusing.

and NO! it is not that simple to replace the head gasket. there is quite a bit involved. wait until we can get a better diagnostic on what you problem is exactly.

you need to go borrow a compression tester and check the compression in each cylinder. if you take accurate reading it will help us know what exactly is wrong.

van

MrBen
09-30-2003, 12:53 PM
Just do what I'm doing. Say fuck it, I'll wait until it blows up, then get a new engine.

it's paid for
09-30-2003, 02:27 PM
do you have a digi camera? if so it would make it a lot easier for me to help you decide the best rout to go.
Yeah - I have one . . . what photos should I take? The oil on my engine? The puff of smoke? (I'm not trying to be sarcastic - I really am that stupid :huh: )

you need to go borrow a compression tester and check the compression in each cylinder. if you take accurate reading it will help us know what exactly is wrong. Okay - I should have this done by Thursday - a friend of mine will probably let me borrow his on Wednesday.

Just do what I'm doing. Say **** it, I'll wait until it blows up, then get a new engine. Miiiiiity tempting. Part of the reason why I want to do the head is for the experience - I think when it's all said and done I'll feel really good about my new accomplishment and hopefully, my engine will be better off too.

I thought this mesasge board had a place to attach photos . . . guess not . . . hold on & let me upload some & I'll put a link in another post later . . .

ALSO . . .

What torque wrench does anyone recommend & where to get it?

Thanks,

IPF

it's paid for
09-30-2003, 02:33 PM
. . . hope zis verks . . .
http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/83accord/engine_block_filth_01.jpg
http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/83accord/engine_block_filth_02.jpg
http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/83accord/engine_block_filth_03.jpg
http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/83accord/od_83_accord_01.jpg

. . . ya . . . ya, it verks vell . . .

Sean
09-30-2003, 07:13 PM
swap over to 20w50 motor oil. see if the smoke stops.

erics86dx
10-01-2003, 08:23 AM
whoa......those are some nasty ass pics, you should clean up around them plugs

it's paid for
10-01-2003, 11:31 AM
swap over to 20w50 motor oil. see if the smoke stops. I just changed the oil to straight 40 weight . . . recommended by Deanna Sclar . . . do you think 20w50 would be better?

. . . you should clean up around them plugs I have this planned - I was going to take my ramps with me to the carwash so I could get underneath better - is this a stupid idea?

Thanks,

IPF

iamvandemon
10-01-2003, 03:11 PM
since you have a digi, pull the plugs and show me what they look like. also check your compression.

does it use oil? does it use coolant?

de-grease that engine and it will be much more pleasent and easy to work on.

van

feel free to pm me with any questions, etc...