PDA

View Full Version : Hard to restart

sfcmikej
09-29-2003, 05:40 AM
I have an 86 lxi with Fuel Injection. The car starts OK but when you turn it off sometimes it will not restart, just turns over without starting. There is a gasoline oder and when it eventually starts then there is a cloud of smoke from the exhaust. If you let it sit long enough it starts OK also. Any ideas?

Mike

AZmike
09-29-2003, 05:55 AM
So far it sounds like the coolant temperature sensor. Is the ECU giving any codes? Does the car not start when it's hot (recently driven), but will start after sitting for a while?

sfcmikej
09-29-2003, 07:27 AM
Exactly. It hgas problems starting hot. If it sits awhile then it starts ok. I have a code 12 on the ECU but no others. Any suggestions on test the coolant temperture sensor and where is it?

Mike

AZmike
09-29-2003, 10:26 AM
The coolant temperture sensor (aka TW sensor) is on top of the thermostat housing closest to the cylinder head (facing the car). It should have a black plastic 2 pin connector. It takes a deep 19 mm 6 point socket to remove it. Since I knew this was a common problem and I was getting a code 6 I didn't test first, I just replaced it for $25 and it fixed the problem immediately. It's a good idea to pull your clock/ecu fuse for 5-10 minutes after installing the new sensor to reset the ecu then let the car idle for a minute to get things setup.

If you look here

http://www.hondainfo.com/troubleshooting.html

it doesn't say anything about an ecu code for the 86-87 LXi (unlinke my 89). I'm pretty confident that this sensor is your problem.

sfcmikej
10-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey, Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to change it out yet but I believe you are right. When it won't start if I pull the wire harness off then it will start then I just plug it back in and all is ok. Thanks for the assist.

Mike

4sillypwr
10-09-2003, 07:31 PM
I doubt it is the coolant sensor. It is most likely the main relay. After a number of years the connections get what is called dry cracks. They are very hard to see, but easy to fix. You will need to pull the main relay and pop the cover off. Then very carefully resolder all the pins. I have had this happen to at least two hondas i have had. The main relay is a ducumented weak point in hondas.

AZmike
10-10-2003, 12:40 AM
As its beginning to fail, the main relay typically won't work when the car is hot (like sitting in the sun in the summer). If the engine will not start with the engine hot regardless of the temperature of the car then it's more likely the temperature sensor. When the main relay fails the fuel pump doesn't work.

In the first post he mentions how there is the smell of gasoline. So we know both the fuel pump is working (main relay is ok) and the temperature sensor is probably bad since the engine defaults to a condition that is too rich to start a hot engine when the sensor is giving a signal that the ECU knows is unreasonable.

Let us know how it turns out Mike.

3rd GEN
10-10-2003, 08:45 AM
ya mine has a similar problem...
only hard to start when hot..
like if i go get some gas...then it's only been sitting for 5 minz at most.and when i go to turn it over.. it runs for a few seconds then dies... then i try again.. same thing...i try again..it just cranks..wait about 10 seconds.. try again..then finaly it will start..
i thinkit's the main relay aswell..

Noles
10-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Could also be a leaky injector or two. I had a problem similar to the one you are describing. The leaky injectors were flooding the cylinders wih gas and the car would not start. Next time when it wont start keep the gas matted and see if it starts. Holding it wide open clears out the cylinders. I replaced the o-rings around the injectors and it stopped geting flooded.

cruznz
10-10-2003, 08:29 PM
hmmmm,...i'm with Noles on this one,...and the code 12 is EGR system fault

rdn
10-11-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by 3rd GEN
ya mine has a similar problem...
only hard to start when hot..
like if i go get some gas...then it's only been sitting for 5 minz at most.and when i go to turn it over.. it runs for a few seconds then dies... then i try again.. same thing...i try again..it just cranks..wait about 10 seconds.. try again..then finaly it will start..
i thinkit's the main relay aswell..

had the same problem ever since i bought the car (6 months or so).....removed my relay yesterday (finally:)) and re-soldered it. the car starts now any time/any place/any temperature!:)

thank's guys!...you spared 100 bucks for me (that's what honda charges in sweden for a main relay :rant: )

4sillypwr
10-11-2003, 09:01 PM
no problem man. Always glad to help