PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover leaking oil???

Justin86
09-29-2003, 09:46 AM
My valve cover has been leaking oil for about 4 months now. I put on a different cover and it helped a little since the old owe was a little warped. Then I put some of that gasket seal on it and now it leak on the front side. Before it leaked on just the sides? I put washers on top of the cover cause I thought the cover might be bottoming out on the studs. :confused:

shepherd79
09-29-2003, 09:59 AM
did you clean the cylinder head before you put a new gasket. if you didn't no matter now much you tighen it will always leak, because there is oil gap between cylinder head and gasket.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-29-2003, 10:01 AM
Yeah clean it up really good and then with a new gasket put some gasket sealer with it and it should do the job. I had the same problem with mine when I changed covers.

-Mike

P.S. Gasket scraper works like a charm.

DBMaster
09-29-2003, 10:29 AM
Also, make sure you are using NEW grommet/washers under the hold down nuts. The rubber part becomes permanently compressed and will not provide adequate compression to prevent leaks when reused. This is especially true with aftermarket hold down grommets that I have noticed seem to deteriorate faster than the OEM ones.

iamvandemon
09-29-2003, 10:41 AM
when you clean the head, make sure that there are not any deep scratches /nicks etc, running from inside to out. if there are you can use the gasket maker as suggested, or you can use a copper filler. it is a tacky spray with copper particles suspended in it. it comes in an aerosol can. I have had amazing success with it in the past, so I always use it.

Van

BootMachine
09-29-2003, 11:11 AM
take off your VC...clean it...pull the old gassket off....clean the mating surface on the head grab some high temp silicone and go nutts!

Justin86
09-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Well I have done pretty much everthing you have said. I all ready have all new gaskets and seals. I clean it everytime. I had some of that copper paint stuff but ran out. I have taking off the cover five times so far and each time the leak will move to another area? First down the tranny, then by the cam gear, and then back to tranny side, then both sides, and last down the front.

zero.counter
09-29-2003, 02:21 PM
Sounds like a pain. The other guys have suggested everything I could possibly think of. Check to make sure that your oil filter is on tight. If not then it will obviously leak on the tranny side. If it is leaking on the cam gear side, take the timing cover off, and verify that the gasket and sealer have been effectively utilized. I know it sounds odd, but maybe you might have missed a section. Remember, there is a lot of pressure under the the cover. Also, are you using a heavy weight oil or synthetic?

Justin86
09-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by zero.counter
Sounds like a pain. The other guys have suggested everything I could possibly think of. Check to make sure that your oil filter is on tight. If not then it will obviously leak on the tranny side. If it is leaking on the cam gear side, take the timing cover off, and verify that the gasket and sealer have been effectively utilized. I know it sounds odd, but maybe you might have missed a section. Remember, there is a lot of pressure under the the cover. Also, are you using a heavy weight oil or synthetic?

Well I put in new pistons and rings so I can't use synethic oil. I'm running 10W30 in the engine.