PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Valves?

it's paid for
09-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Again - I apologize in advance for my near-total ignorance . . . remember, you were all there at some point in your life, so take it easy on me, okay . . .

. . . I was having a conversation with my brother last weekend & of course, we were discussing my "new" '83 Accord . . . after I told my brother I was getting ready to have the head redone he told me I should have the valves replaced with hydraulic valves - he said all new cars have them and they're virtually maintenance free as they are self adjusting . . .

. . . is this true?

Will the shop I'm getting to do the head know about this?

Thanks,

IPF

DBMaster
09-29-2003, 05:10 PM
He would be referring to hydraulic "lifters," which in our case would be hydraulic cam followers. They would be maintenance free, but I don't know if there is an aftermarket retrofit to install them in place of the solid rockers we have. I do not think such a thing is available, but I could be wrong.

A20A1
09-29-2003, 08:46 PM
maintenace free... it might not require periodic valve lash adjustment but they can still get messed up.

There is no hydraulic rocker/cam follower for our cars and I doubt there are any for the earlier accords either.

PhydeauX
09-30-2003, 07:10 AM
Nope, I don't think you're going to find them for any overhead cam motors, let alone an 83 accord.

andy