PDA

View Full Version : Oil dissapearing ??

ACCORD EX
09-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Hello guys ! my engine oil is dissapearing somewhere !
it's not leaking anywhere ! and it doesn't burn ?

and every time i fil to max and drive it for a day it goes back to little over minimum ! tried few times and each time it loses oil till little bit over the minimum ! but it never gets lower than minimum !

the oil is Mobil 1 9000 km old , filter HONDA OEM 9000 km old !
could it be the oil is old already ! i'll change anyway this weekend ! but i was susbecting the rear Crank seal ! ??? ( the one in teh gearbox ) how can a man tell if it's leaking without getting the gearbox out ??

thanx a lot guys !

Mike

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-30-2003, 02:01 PM
My first guess for disappearing oil is the PCV valve. Happened both on my moms '94 Accord and my dads SE-i, which were going through oil fast but not burning or leaking. The '94 just kinda fixed itself (strangly), but the SE-i I pulled the PCV valve out and the little plunger inside of it was completely gone.... you could look through one end and out the other. Replaced the PCV and it hasn't gone through a single drop of oil since.

AZmike
09-30-2003, 05:43 PM
If your rear main seal was leaking you'd have a nice puddle under your parking spot. When it gets really bad the flywheel flings oil out the timing hole.

zero.counter
09-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by AZmike
When it gets really bad the flywheel flings oil out the timing hole.
It's funny that you mentioned that. I remember when my brother took his accord to an econolube to have a tune up. They adjusted his timing and left the plug off. A week later, oil splattered all over the inside of the engine bay. Those fucking guys
:lol

Well, about the oil loss issue. I would suggest parking in a clean area after running the engine for awhile and checking for oil spillage. If not, then dump the oil out of the pan and measure how much actually came out. For it to burn off that bad, you would surely notice something.

Check for faulty engine core plugs, a loose oil filter, stripped drain bolt, oil pan gasket and so forth. There is a UV additive like the one used for A/C leaks, that can be used to locate the leak. I can't remember the name since I am at work, but will post it when I go home tonight.

ACCORD EX
10-01-2003, 03:36 PM
how is PCV valve related to oil ?

thanx a lot guys !

Mike !