PDA

View Full Version : what would you do with a new motor?

racerx
09-30-2003, 01:25 PM
I got a new motor and I have a few options with it. I just want to get some serious opinions about what to do. Not like, "Put a T3/T4 Garrett ball bearing turbo, run 25 psi, get a block guard, titanium rods...all in an NSX motor swap..."
I'm talking a budget of under 2G. Hopefully under 1G.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions! :cool:

Oh, and please refrain from :rice:

shepherd79
09-30-2003, 03:03 PM
talk to sean about his GM EFI conversion.

racerx
09-30-2003, 05:31 PM
yeah, that would be good.

man, not too many people have opinion on this...wtf?
oh, maybe it's cuz i said no rice. :tongue:
no, just kiddin.

but seriously, i thought more people would have something to say! :wave:

RustyHo88
09-30-2003, 05:57 PM
well... what do you want from it in the end? converting it to efi would be great... but it would cost a lot more than just getting a weber, plus a weber is better in certain ways, if you know what you are doing. anytime you have an engine outside of a car, i would think would be a great time to redo the cam, pistons ect. that is unless the engine is in perfect condition. also, if you get the efi... there are a bunch of things youll have to change. im going to assume you know all about that though... instead of insulting your intelligence :) . anyway... i would say just get a weber, and rebuild the engine if you want to spend the money. what kind of engine is it? how many miles are on it? have you thought about headers, CAI ect? do you have emissions where you live?

racerx
09-30-2003, 06:12 PM
yeah, i have emissions, most unfortunately. I know what i need to do the efi conversion. the engine itself has 30k miles, and it's in pristine condition. ;)

I do not have headers, but i have the cat and cat-back.
I have one of those poor-man's civic adapter SR intakes, but I want to convert to full CAI.

RustyHo88
09-30-2003, 06:29 PM
yea, if you have emissions, go with the EFI definetly. if you trust the engine, dont worry about rebuilding it. the efi conversion will cost enough, and i beleive you will want to have the cam reground, since you will have to modify it anyway for the conversion. if your going to get a catback, go ahead and get headers, but be carefull... some of them dont have the holes for the O2 sensor, which is needed to pass emissions. ive seen threads about it somewhere, but i dont remember where. im not going to go look for them either... thats your homework for the night :D . if you have the civic adaptor / short ram intake, then it shouldnt be too hard to turn it into an CAI... that is if youre not going to convert it to an EFI. if your converting to an EFI... all you really have to worry about is bending the pipe to the wheel well from the intake. you wont be able to use the civic adaptor with the EFI... but you can sell it to someone i am sure. anyway... im not much of an expert on the EFI conversion... i just know i dont have the time / desire / money to do it. hope all this helps.

racerx
09-30-2003, 09:53 PM
yeah, i already have the cat-back and the hi-flow cat, so i've been thinking about getting the pacesetter header, as that's the only one that fits the carbed cars.
The cai should be easy enough. i'm just worried about all the time involved in an EFI conversion. do you think it would be possible to do this over a weekend?

RustyHo88
10-01-2003, 04:27 AM
well... if you had help, and nothing went wrong... it might only take you a few days. i would give yourself a good week though. make sure you know exactly what you need to do before you get started, and that you have all the parts necessary. good luck.