PDA

View Full Version : accord sounds like dying in cold morning

legend9
09-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone have any idea about my situation: my 88 accord starts off fine in the morning after 2 or 3 pushes to the gas pedal ( carb eng.) Afterward, it seems the RPM drop to almost below 1k, and it seems to die and sputters. I have changed new spark plugs, new air filter, new fuel filters. The engine seems very weak. I usually would have to REV it up a bit, and after that, it would maintain a high RPM. I don't now, it seems strange. Sometimes that method works. Also, when I switched the gears, it would die. I want to leave the car to idle normally, without REV it, but it would seems to die, or at least not all 4 pistons are running up and down.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

nwo504
09-30-2003, 09:10 PM
i have the same problem when i dont drive for lover 6 hours and try to crank it ,itrevs up then dies after a few tries it comes on tho

89queludesi
10-01-2003, 08:20 AM
sounds like an idle air control sensor

legend9
10-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi, where is that located? How easy is it to change?

buzzbomber88lx
10-03-2003, 11:20 AM
o2 sensors, idle air sensor, vacuum prob. have you adjusted your idle a little higher. i think there is a screw that you adjust for cold and warm idle. i think you need to adjust the warm idle a little higher so it doesnt choke itself on gas at low rpm. all carbs need to run a little high at idle and around 750-1000 or so.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-03-2003, 11:27 AM
Well if you have a carb then it needs adjusting and cleaning. Or it might need to be replaced. I suggest do a lot of reading on adjusting the stock carb and buy yourself a can of carb cleaner and go to town.

-Mike

legend9
10-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Prolly carb in need of cleaning. I will try to clean it with the spray.

sandman3467
10-05-2003, 05:37 PM
I had the same problem with mine and asked my father about it.He told me that there was a vacume leak at the gasket between the intake manifold/plenum and throttle body.So I removed the whole intake assembly and replaced all the gaskets and cleaned my carb.It never happened again.

legend9
10-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by sandman3467
I had the same problem with mine and asked my father about it.He told me that there was a vacume leak at the gasket between the intake manifold/plenum and throttle body.So I removed the whole intake assembly and replaced all the gaskets and cleaned my carb.It never happened again.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Where is this manifold / plenum located? what does it look it? Is it the carb assembly? If so, I am a bit unskill at removing the whole assembly and putting it back. Is it hard..?:D

sandman3467
10-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Your manifold/plenum is the base your carb sits on.