PDA

View Full Version : Large puff of smoke

Jdub07
05-01-2002, 10:08 AM
My car doesn't smoke while driveing but if I drive for maybe 10 min. or so then park the car, turn it off and about an hour later come back and start it up. A large puff of smoke come bellowing out. I drive a way and its fine...no smoke. Is this normal...it dosent effect the performace of my car from what I can tell.

Matty_StyLz
05-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Dude.. that just doesn't sound right. :confused:

87Hybrid
05-01-2002, 06:35 PM
Vlave guide seals it sounds like to me. When you stop the warm oil drips past the seal and into the cylinder and when you start it up it burns away. Common with older vehicles.

accordlx
05-02-2002, 04:37 AM
I agree with that diagnosis Doctor. :pimp:

Jdub07
05-02-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by 87Hybrid
Vlave guide seals it sounds like to me. When you stop the warm oil drips past the seal and into the cylinder and when you start it up it burns away. Common with older vehicles.

Is this something to really worry about? If so what would be involved in correcting the problem. As I said before it doesn't "seem" to effect the performance also it doesn't do it ALL the time. Thanks for the help:D

Don87LX
05-02-2002, 12:15 PM
mine does the same thign every once in a great long while (car has to sit for a few days) but yeah Hybrid is right. Unless its doing it all the time, or your losing an inordinate amount of oil I wouldnt be too conscerned.

Jdub07
05-02-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Don87LX
mine does the same thign every once in a great long while (car has to sit for a few days) but yeah Hybrid is right. Unless its doing it all the time, or your losing an inordinate amount of oil I wouldnt be too conscerned.

NICE! My oil is A.O.K and always has been. (knock on WOOD) I'll be sure to post some questions if it gets bad. :D

87Hybrid
05-02-2002, 04:36 PM
Dont worry about it unless you start using larger amounts of oil or start getting excessive blowby.:bandit:

Lester Lugnut
05-03-2002, 09:04 PM
Might be valve guide seals, but your say LARGE puff of smoke. More likely valve guides. If it's seals and you have an air compressor & valve spring compressor, the seals an be redone with the cyl head on the car. Bad valve guides requires cyl. head removal.

Pull your spark plugs. Are they oil soaked? If so, I'd suspect guides.

njpeter
05-12-2002, 07:01 PM
my older 88 LX smokes now and then. It seems to be a combination of drive habit before park and sheer luck. I suspect one seal is bad, and if the engine happens to stop with that valve open, some oil can leak by. Plugs are clean, but I worry about the converter health for long term. It seemed to be much worse in cold weather, which points to vlave seals. Considering the valve cover gasket was baked in place ( I had to repalce the cover!) I wouldn't be surprised if the seals were brittle. I can dela with it for now. Not a good thing to happen in an underground garage, so I take the "newer" 88 when I go to NYC. As staed, you can change the seals if you have lots of compressed air, but I believe the rokcers have to come out. that's a bit too much work for now.