PDA

View Full Version : still shakes when I hold brakes!!!

RED LXI
10-01-2003, 10:07 AM
I don't know what else to do : new rotors, new brakes, new proportional valve,new master cylinder, and bled all the brakes, new engine mounts.
now heres the problem:the cars runs smooth especially at high speeds but ass soon as I hold brakes at high speed over 65 mph the whole front end starts to shake for a while (including steering wheel)then when it slows down ,returns to being smooth again. my alighnment is good, and my camber is like factory straight(miami chasis). the car has never been in an accident. everything looks and feels perfect except when i hold brakes at high speed; even with the shaking my brakes hold perfect. when i drive and go over speed bumps there isn't even a little noise coming from the front end so i cant say anything is loose. i need help fast, your advice will be very appreciated.

cdscowboy
10-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Hmm...if you hadn't replaced the rotors and pads already I'd say warped rotors...mine used to do that and I got new rotors and it stopped immediately. Were the ones you got resurfaced or whatever? Or new from a store? Might make a difference. Good luck!!

shepherd79
10-01-2003, 12:25 PM
i had the same problem. i replaced 3 sets of rotors and my car was still shaking. I replaced the outter tie rods and it went away.
check your tie rods and ball joints.

RustyHo88
10-01-2003, 04:58 PM
this is probably a stupid question... but when was the last time your tires were balanced? that could be it..or it could also be inconsistant pressure in your tires... but it would take a real idiot to miss something like that, so ill assume you checked it. my uncle had a similar prob with his jeep... changed rotors, bearings, pads...ect, nothing helped. then he got new tires, and it went away (prob becasue they balanced them). just a thought.

shepherd79
10-01-2003, 06:14 PM
if tires not ballanced he should feel the shake all the time. it is has to do with suspension because something loose down there.

MrBen
10-01-2003, 06:16 PM
Shepherd is right. Rotors on my friend's car are not warped, tires are balanced, and the ball joints are shot. Thus, there is shaking while stopping, and loud front end noise at freeway speeds.

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Also check wheel bearings for excessive play too, along with everything mentioned above. Any of those could cause shaking

RED LXI
10-04-2003, 04:54 AM
Thanks fro the advice guys, I'll change the ballbearing, tie rod, and also check the wheel bearing. If this doesn't work I might just change the whole front end, especially now that i've noticed when I press brakes, it feels like the brake is holding and releasing , causing a pulsing feeling in the brake pedal. :smokin:

RED LXI
10-04-2003, 05:55 AM
I just noticed that if I take off my rims the car feels like new and I loose the shaking ; put the rims back on and shakes like hell under high speeds. I know the rims arn't bent and and their balanced. I feel something must be week under their, I just hope it is the bearings, tie rods, or ball joint.:smokin:

bigpoppa88
10-07-2003, 12:16 AM
If your tires are unbalanced they won't necessarily vibrate ALL the time, just at certain speeds. How old are your tires? The tires could be perfectly balanced yet if the side walls are giving out the tire strength won't be there and give you a "wobbly" feeling. These were all the symptoms I had on my car, 'til I replaced them with NEW tires not used ones. Try rotating your tires to see if it makes a difference.

Dibbs
10-07-2003, 06:28 AM
I'd check tie rods first, then ball joints. If all are good, I'd look into replacing the struts. They can cause vibration while stopping as well, but it's usually more of a constant shaking b/c the struts are allowing the tires to bounce.

BTW the tie rods are an EASY fix and pretty cheap too. Shouldn't be more than $25-30 to replace both of them. If you jack up your car and can move your wheel from side to side with the steering wheel locked, then your ball joints need to be replaced. Of course if the boots are broken, replace them anyway, they're gonna go out soon.

RED LXI
10-07-2003, 09:12 AM
this crp is getting worst at first ther was just the vibration, but now everytime I hold brakes if feels like my brakes are holding then releasing(pulsing in the pedals) but its stopping fine, with the annoying vibration of course. this is becomming stressfull, for a car that is running so great this is simply fustrating. if i dont hold brakes at all the car feels like a TL, nice and smooth with no vibration or noises whatsoever. As soon as i hold brakes it reminds of the old neighborhood chevy NOVA. I did notice that if I press the brakes softly the vibration is really heavy, then if I press it harder the vibration steadies a little and in can feel a sickening pulse in my brake pedal. I'm sorry if you guys are tired of hearing about this but, this problem is ridiculous, I'M READY TO SWAP ALL MY GOODIES TO ANOTHER CAR.:burn: :burn: :smokin:

Dibbs
10-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Take it to a suspension shop and have them inspect your suspension. Even if you have to pay it's worth the money to know what the problem is.

RED LXI
10-15-2003, 11:30 AM
O.K. now this is giving me a headache. I just took the car to a susupension shop yesterday to get it checked out. I spent $495 dollors changing the ball joints, control arm bushings, innner and outer tie rod ends and getting a four wheel alignment. the car still shakes a little bit when i hold brakes, everything just feels tighter now. the guy at the shop said the only thing left to change is the struts and rack and pinion which look good. my car is dropped 3 inches but the wheels are completely straight, someone help please..
chechlist, already done:
rotors
brakes
master cylinder
proportional valve
inner and outer tie rods
ball joints
control arm bushings
four wheel alingment

checklist, not done :
struts
rear brake drums
:mad: :rant: :burn: :smokin:

shepherd79
10-15-2003, 12:22 PM
have you checked your wheel bearing? i have the same problem right now.
the other thing is to check the inner tie rods. you replaced the outer tie rods, check the inner tie rods.

Accy
10-17-2003, 04:51 AM
I had the exact EXACT same problem as you did. Around 55mph with light-heavy braking the car and steering wheel would shake like you explained. Over 65 and all hell broke loose :badass: The only things that I changed were pads, rotors and wheel bearings.... Its almost as if you explained the symptoms to the T. This is all that I did and everything is smooth under any speed of braking. Dont know if that'll help any but theres my 2 cents.

RED LXI
10-18-2003, 04:28 AM
well i didn;t check the wheel bearing because they didn't sem to have much play. I'll changed them around 12:00 today if this doesn't work i'll be back for more help.:stick:

dj99
10-18-2003, 09:11 AM
I had that same problem until I got the brand new rotors turned. All else was already replaced, i.e. joints, tie rod ends, etc.