PDA

View Full Version : how does a header increase performance?

neoblue89lxi
10-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Is it because the actual tubes are bigger than stock or is the way they are bent more free-flowing. If it is one of those, does it increase your torque or horsepower more. I am getting a new magnaflow exhaust put on tomarrow along with the magnaflow cat. All the pipes are going to be increased to 2.25 inches and i'm wondering if the stock header is going to reduce the full performance my new system is going to have.

dXsquared
10-01-2003, 12:44 PM
you have 4 cylinders dumping turbulant exhaust gas into a large "bucket" with a manifold... when they all colect in there before leaving down the exhaust pipe, they mix and make it difficult for the car to exhale...
with a header, they are all seperate untill later on down the line when they have gotten less turbulant and flow smoother...

Travis

neoblue89lxi
10-01-2003, 12:57 PM
how much of a gain do you get with headers? So the stock headers have a box like thing at the top by the block that the gases go into then dispearse into the pipes and the aftermarket one doesnt have that box?

dXsquared
10-01-2003, 01:10 PM
the aftermarket one is tubes...

with just headers, you wont see much...

idealy you would mod somthing like this:

-Custom 2.25 inch catback
-CAI
-headers
-hi flo cat
-Delta Cam 272 Cam
-some kind of nitrous system

or you can just buy seans TURBO kit and not have to worry about a header

Travis

neoblue89lxi
10-01-2003, 01:21 PM
well this week i just got the the #s 1,2,4 on your list. So maybe internals are next. give me some ideas. Ill get back in a couple of hours. So far thanks.

dXsquared
10-01-2003, 01:27 PM
headers should be next... for 142 bucks you can get them at www.jcw.com

then strip them and paint em up good with ceramic paint...

and for like 60 bucks you can add like 15-20 hp with that cam...www.deltacam.com

Travis