PDA

View Full Version : shakes when stopped

87AccordLXsdn
10-01-2003, 02:16 PM
ok, my car has this very annoying habit of shaking when im stopped and have it in drive with the brake on...it shakes the whole damn car and it sucks...it idles at about 750 and when i put it in nuetral it goes up to almost 1k which doesnt seem high to me but then when i put it back in gear, it jerks the whole car...hopefully its something easy to fix and you guys can help me out on this

AZmike
10-02-2003, 12:00 AM
How do your motor mounts look?

DBMaster
10-02-2003, 06:09 AM
Probably motor mounts. Usually just changing the front and rear LOWER mounts will take care of it. I made the mistake of only changing my front lower mount when I discovered it was broken. It wasn't until I changed the rear one that the vibration smoothed out.

87AccordLXsdn
10-02-2003, 12:00 PM
alright thanks guys i'll have to check it out

BootMachine
10-02-2003, 12:25 PM
replace your upper motor mount and perhaps the front motor mount..

your engine needs to idle at 800 RPM....750 causes "putting" which shakes the car

good luck buddy!

DBMaster
10-02-2003, 02:09 PM
your engine needs to idle at 800 RPM....750 causes "putting" which shakes the car

Well, the factory spec is 750 RPM. I think bumping up the idle speed may just be covering up a problem. Perhaps as they get older the engines need to run at that higher RPM to have the smoothness they once had. When my car was new you couldn't even tell it was running unless you looked down at the tach. It seemed to smooth and quiet compared to my 72 Pontiac. Now that I have been used to it for 14 years many cars seem a lot smoother and quieter!

k-roy
10-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
Well, the factory spec is 750 RPM. I think bumping up the idle speed may just be covering up a problem. Perhaps as they get older the engines need to run at that higher RPM to have the smoothness they once had. When my car was new you couldn't even tell it was running unless you looked down at the tach. It seemed to smooth and quiet compared to my 72 Pontiac. Now that I have been used to it for 14 years many cars seem a lot smoother and quieter!

Holy Crap, an original owner!:bow:

A20A1
10-02-2003, 05:02 PM
750 in gear or out of gear?

Maybe it needs a dose of carb cleaner.

DBMaster
10-02-2003, 05:47 PM
For the automatic, at least, it's 750 in OR out of gear. There are automatic adjustments made by the ECU to compensate for A/C being on, transmission being in gear, or pressure increase in the P/S lines (like turning the steering wheel while the car is not moving.)

Maybe I am just too familiar with the FI engine. I haven't worked on a carb since 1989 and have no desire to do so ever again. I rebuilt four of them and replaced two. FI is actually much simpler.