PDA

View Full Version : Help serious problems with 88 lxi!!

nwo504
10-01-2003, 05:57 PM
-I don't know how to explain it but sometimes when i'm driving mostly up a bridge my car feels funny like it stops accelerating i have to let go of the gas for a few seconds and push it back to keep going.

-White smoke comes from under my hood when i drive for over 20 minutes

-It wont start sometimes after a few hours of being off it starts idles at 2k then shuts off then i have to keep tring like 20 times before it comes on.

I had to unplug one of my headlights because it got stuck and caused my battery to drain out(I had to remove someting now i have to flip it up manually)

k-roy
10-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Sounds like it could be the head gasket, or a faulty fuel system.

MrBen
10-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Headgasket! Time for a rebuild, or at least a new headgasket.

racerx
10-01-2003, 08:59 PM
the white smoke is almost definately your valve cover gasket leaking. I had the same problem for a long time.
Get a new gasket, install it right (i use tape to hold it in place while positioning), and make sure you don't tighten the bolts more than 7 ft/lbs.
That's really important! oil will come spilling onto your exhaust manifold and smoke will rise out from under your hood if you tighten it more.
got a torque wrench? :)

AZmike
10-01-2003, 11:58 PM
The hot starting problem may be a bad TW sensor. Is your ecu giving any codes?

Be sure to replace the grommets when you replace the valve cover gasket. This part isn't very much from the dealer. Be sure there's no oil on the head's sealing surface when you put the new gasket on.

BootMachine
10-02-2003, 12:31 PM
gasket shmasket!

Go and buy a few tubes of that high temp silicone (the red stuff) and go nutts!

I did and no leaks....no gaskets too!

AZmike
10-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by BootMachine
gasket shmasket!

Go and buy a few tubes of that high temp silicone (the red stuff) and go nutts!

I did and no leaks....no gaskets too!

How often do you check your valves?