PDA

View Full Version : i want to kill my car

89accordLXiAllAudio
10-02-2003, 07:09 PM
i finally got a new head unit to replace the old alpine i had in there. so today i go to install it, i dont have a harness, so i twist the wires. i know i got them all right with the colors and all. and the bastard doesnt get any power. so to see if i was hooking it up right, i tried to put the old alpine back in. and now it gets no power. i tried a bunch of stuff like actually grounding to the chassis and the fuse isnt blown. i have the red in the new head to the yellow with red stripe, and i have the yellow in the new head to the white with yellow stripe. i switched those around and just cant get it to work. any suggestions before i kill my car?

catalin
10-02-2003, 08:40 PM
There might be another fuse under the hood too.

BITESIZE
10-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Yep, it's got to be another fuse. I love having a fuse under the hood and Dash, and in the c.d. player......Less chance of the c.d. playing getting fried.

89accordLXiAllAudio
10-03-2003, 08:00 PM
negatory, all the fuses under the hood are intact. i did something i think maybe i shouldnt have. the ignition wire (red with yellow) had 12 volt power, but the battery one (white with yellow) didnt. so i hooked up both of the corresponding head unit wires to the ignition wire. it works, but i feel like im gonna do something to mess more shtuff up.

MrBen
10-03-2003, 08:06 PM
I have a wire harness if you want it, just pay shipping. I paid like 15 bucks for it a couple years ago. I've never used it, and the wires are labeled.

Mac
10-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Does your clock work? If it doesn't check fuse #11 under the hood in the fuse/relay box.

catalin
10-06-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Mac
Does your clock work? If it doesn't check fuse #11 under the hood in the fuse/relay box.

I second that.... :)

HostileJava
10-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 89accordLXiAllAudio
negatory, all the fuses under the hood are intact. i did something i think maybe i shouldnt have. the ignition wire (red with yellow) had 12 volt power, but the battery one (white with yellow) didnt. so i hooked up both of the corresponding head unit wires to the ignition wire. it works, but i feel like im gonna do something to mess more shtuff up.

That will work, but you'll lose all your settings when turn the car off, you should either figure out why your not getting a constant 12v to your headunit or splice another 12v line and run it to the headunit.

89accordLXiAllAudio
10-09-2003, 07:22 PM
oh wow mac you are right my clock doesnt work. but i checked all the fuses under the hood. maybe i didnt look close enough. hey hostile, if i did just runa constant 12 volt to my head unit, like off the horn or something, wouldnt it drain my battery every time?

HostileJava
10-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Nope, that 12v line running to the headunit is basically just used to store settings and keep the clock accurate so it would be drawing less current then an LED. You'd be just fine.

99cent lx-i
10-12-2003, 09:44 PM
i been reading this and my car did the same thing
the clock and radio are for some stupid reason in the same circuit
when one blows the other does too.
the clock fuse is under the hood and the radio is under the dash
you should also check that the fuse on the unit itself isn't blown
there should also be a fuse on the constant into the stereo
except for that i don't know whats goin on?

Mac
10-13-2003, 05:41 AM
Did you check fuse # 11? If the fuse is good make sure you have 12 volts on 1 side of the fuse socket.

If there is 12 volts on the socket you might have a broken wire.

The reason I ask if you have checked the fuse is because this fuse also supplies a constant 12 volts to the ECU. I think this is so it can store codes.

89accordLXiAllAudio
10-14-2003, 07:01 PM
yeah it turns out i didnt look so close the first time i checked the fuses. i changed it and its all good now. what would i do without you guys. yeah heheh i think that might be why my clock didnt work and my car wouldnt idle right. heheh

Mac
10-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Cool. So now you are good to go. You got tunes, clock, and a good ECU. I bet your horn might not of been working also. Anyway changing a fuse is easier than running a new wire.

89accordLXiAllAudio
10-16-2003, 10:09 AM
hell yea.

POS carb
10-16-2003, 11:38 AM
yea Honda figures radios are to be wired with ECU's and clocks, and horns are to be wired to cruise control units

blok2400
10-23-2003, 09:27 AM
well since its already been brought up. ANy suggestions to why my radio wont work after i installed a new alternator? i checked every fuse there is to check unless theres one on my pioneer cd player but i cannot see it.

Mac
10-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Check to see if your Pioneer cd player has an in line fuse in the power wire. It should be a white plastic holder. Just unscrew it and look at the fuse inside. I'm not sure if Pioneer uses in line fuses, but it's something to check.