PDA

View Full Version : possible setup ques

danronian
10-03-2003, 03:29 AM
My friend just bought three audiobahn 15's and some huge amp and wants to sell me his three visonik 10's and audiobahn 500 X 2 amp for like dirt cheap ($100 or so). If I upgrade all of the grounds on my car and get a 1 farad cap will that be enough to not burn out my alt. from the huge load? Right now I have a tiny 200watt optimus amp and 1 jensen 10" and this already dims the lights pretty bad at idle, but at 2grand you cant see it dim at all.

When he had this amp and a 300 X 2 audiobahn running in his car his lights didnt dim at all and he had a factory alt. with no add-on cap.

Vanilla Sky
10-03-2003, 04:16 AM
should be perfectly fine... may wanna check out the battery though... maybe take the alt out and have it tested to see it's still putting out stock power which i heard is 40 amps, but don't quote me...

shepherd79
10-03-2003, 08:53 AM
i have 400 watt system on my car and my lights don't dim at all.
Check your alternator. it may be needs to be replaced.
500watt amp shouldn't need too much current. you don't need to upgrade any grounds or anything, but check the alternator and battery.
if they both old you want to replace them.

danronian
10-06-2003, 05:29 AM
My battery is real old, pukes out acid all the time, and is super small. My alt is new though. I think I'll replace the grounds with some thick gauged amp wire though since they are real frayed apart at the ends. Sorry I meant it was a 2 channel 1000watt amp.

Vanilla Sky
10-06-2003, 10:12 AM
change the battery... get an optima... i think they would reccomend yellow top, but i'm not quite sure on that... might be red top... don't bank on that, though

shepherd79
10-06-2003, 11:16 AM
I agree with Derick,
Change the battery and should see the difference.
I changed my battry to the biggest i could fit under the hood, look for a lot of CCA.

Bloodlust
10-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Vanilla Sky
should be perfectly fine... may wanna check out the battery though... maybe take the alt out and have it tested to see it's still putting out stock power which i heard is 40 amps, but don't quote me...

Stock alt is 65 amps I believe. But I had a total of 1600 watts running and I have fried two alternators. So I went and bought myself a new alternator which puts out 130 amps. I can have my system cranked all of the way up and my lights dont dim a bit. I also have a 1 farad cap so I am sure that that helps too. But it depends how big this amp you are talking about is. Plus it might not be at a true power rating. For instance I have this Boss 3000 watt amp which probably puts out a true power rating of 'maybe' 300 watts. Same thing with Kenwood. The only company that I know of that states their true power rating is Phoenix Gold. Sure they are pricy but you are paying for true power. The two audiobahn subs sound like a good deal, but I wouldnt use that amp to power them. But if it is a good amp then go for it.

danronian
10-08-2003, 05:24 AM
If not an optima what battery should I upgrade to? Does a brand name vs. walmart make a difference?

HostileJava
10-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Lightning Cell seems to be good, I've been looking at there batt's for a while now, I'm thinking of replaceing the one in my trunk with the Storm Series and moving the one that's in the trunk back to the front of the car. The only reason I'm really looking into them though is because I can buy them through work for around $200 (retail is around $400 - $450)