PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt tensioner parts

valerit1
10-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Hi,

I am going to replace the timing belt second time (at 130k).
Should I replace the tensioner parts like spring, bearing,
etc.? - they are original. They are OK now - but how long
do they usually last? Paranoia with the interference engine,
you know...
Thanks,

Val

DBMaster
10-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Our resident expert, Sean, informed us a while back that we actually do not have interference engines.

I have 209,000 miles on my Accord and I have changed the T-belt twice without changing the tensioner. Once the tensioner bolt is tightened the spring doesn't really do anything. It seems to be a very robust part with a durable bearing.

I would say that it's cheap enough that if it makes you feel better to replace it, go ahead. My trusted Honda mechanic, who has been working on Hondas for 23 years, says that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This is especially true for the cam and crank seals. Some say you should change these when you do the T-belt. He says (and I agree) that if they are not leaking leave them alone! He has seen more of them leak because they were changed than ones that leaked because they were old.

valerit1
10-03-2003, 07:47 AM
Thanks, very interesting. So, you say if the timing belt breaks
there is no chance pistons will hit the valves? How long did
you timing belts last? Is your water pump original?
Thanks,

Val

DarkRedAccord
10-08-2003, 04:31 AM
Timing belts are supposed last about 90,000 miles. I had mine replaced at 95,000 and 190,000 miles without any problem. I think when 3rd generation came out in 1980s, it was thought that belts should be replaced at 60,000 miles intervals. I suspect that data collected later indicated that 90,000 miles is a safe interval for replacement. Some belts may even last much longer than that probably.

DBMaster
10-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Val,

As a response to your questions - sorry about the lateness of my reply - I ran my belt for 90,000 miles also. I change the water pump when I change the belt. It is supposed to be part of the job - while the tensioner is not. It is unlikely that the water pump seal and bearing would hold up for 180,000 miles and it is MUCH easier to change it with the timing belt cover off. For less than $40 it is worth doing.